Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

passiv OC3/STM1 link for network analyzation

I have the following network setup: 2 network elements connected together with an OC3/STM1 link. In beween there is an OC3/STM1 network tap that mirrors the traffic. My question is now: is it possible to put this (passiv) link into a Cisco switch and e.g. mirror it to different ethernet ports. Especially does Cisco keep OC3/STM1 links up that do not have any active handshaking or keep alive signaling (port is not allowed/able to send any data into the network).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Re: passiv OC3/STM1 link for network analyzation

Yes, absolutely. I think the passive device can mirror one direction at once, anyway.

3 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Yes, it possible by disabling keepalives on the interface.The matter is that when you want to send into ethernet, the protocol must be routable, or bridgeable.

Thank you for the answer. First part (disabling keepalive) is OK. Second part: The connection is an ethernet over sonet connection. I am not a sonet expert but I thought of something like putting an OC3/STM1 link into somthing like a VLAN and monitor it on ethernet ports. Is this possible?

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Yes, absolutely. I think the passive device can mirror one direction at once, anyway.

Views
Helpful
Replies