cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Password Recovery for Cisco 2811

Hieu Cao
Level 4
Level 4

Does anyone know what the proper procedure for recovering lost Enable password for Cisco 2811? I've searched Cisco tech support site, but I was not able to find anything on this? Is the recovering password procedure for Cisco 2811 router as same as 2600 series routers?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Hieu

6 Replies 6

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The password recovery procedure should be the same.

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Thanks for your response. I was able to reset the Enable password for Cisco 2811 router using Cisco 2600 password recovery procedure, but somehow it wiped out the entire original router configuration...and I've followed it down to the T....strage..but I was lucky enough to have a hard copy of the original config that I could type it back in...

Thanks!

Hieu

Hieu

When you were doing the password recovery did you remember to set the config register back to its original value of 0x2102? I have seen it a number of times when people did password recovery successfully, forgot to set the config register back to its original value. When the router boots the next time it ignores the startup config because the config register is still 0x2142 and the symptoms are that the config got lost.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

You may have lost the confige if someone set the no password recovery option. This feature in the newer routers allows you to recover the router itself with a blank configuration but not recover the configuration.

You should have gotten a waring message stating this if you lost the config becuase of this.

It is very easy to mess up and loose your config. I have seen more than one person copy the run to the start rather than the start to the run when doing this procedure. People who don't use the WR command to save the config are used to typing it and don't realise it the other way around.

Thanks, Tim, for your response. I'll certainly keep it in mind the next time I encounter it..

Cheers -

Hieu

Rick,

Yes, I did set the register at 0x2102 and verified it via "show ver" before I rebooted the router...At least everything is working just as it was before..and that's a good thing.

Thanks for all your help!

Hieu

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: