Views
Helpful
Replies

Per-packet load-sharing over Multilink PPP

rvr_76bg
Level 1
Level 1

Hello guys,

I want to enable per-packet load-sharing on my 2800 Router. I have 2 xT1 combined in a Multilink PPP. I am wondering where I have to enable per-packet load-sharing on the Multilink Interface or on both T1/s interfaces bundled in a single Multilink. Thank you in advance.

rvr

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, that's what the multilink PPP would do bydefault. It will try to do a best effort per-packet load-sharing on both the links but you cannot explicitly configure the per-packet load-balancing on the interfaces which are a part of the MLPPP bundle.

HTH,

-amit singh

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

RVR,

No you cannot have per-packet load-balancing enabled on the bundled MLPPP links. In your case if you're configuring Multilink PPP to bundle the T1's together then the serial links are logically tied to the Virtual Multilink interface and you cannot do per-packet load balancing.

If you disable Multilink PPP you can configure per-packet load balancing. Basically, the per-packet load-balancing can only be done on an interface that has an ip address. If you configure Multilink PPP the ip address is only assigned to Multilink interface and not individual interfaces.

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Excellent reply! I saw a doc that said Multilink interface performes per-packet load-sharing by deafult. When a packet has to be send over the bundled lines MLPPP will send one packet to the first then second to the other line (case with 2 lines combined).

rvr

Yes, that's what the multilink PPP would do bydefault. It will try to do a best effort per-packet load-sharing on both the links but you cannot explicitly configure the per-packet load-balancing on the interfaces which are a part of the MLPPP bundle.

HTH,

-amit singh

Thank you very much.

rvr

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card