Views
Helpful
Replies

performance impact of PBR on Nexus 7k

kthned
Level 3
Level 3

Hi

I would like to know the impact of Policy Base Routing configured on the data center nexus 7000. In our scenario, PBR used to switch traffic to ASA firewall, Loadbalance and external router based on the src-dst IP. I have learnt it from Cisco_Live  presentation that PBR is implemented on Forwarding Engine hardware. 

In our scenario we have over 200 interfaces (mostly SVI) where policy base routing need to be comfigured. So my question is, does it impact the performance of nexus 7k ? 

Hope to get few good comments :).

Regards,

Umair

1 Reply 1

nikolasgeyer
Level 1
Level 1

PBR is done in hardware for all M and F series cards, so you should not see any performance degradation. It was covered off in the Cisco Live 2013 Nexus 7000 Switch Architecture session BRKARC-3470.

Your limitation would be around TCAM sizing for ACLs used to make PBR decisions. The N7k in default configuration is limited to 16,000 entries per feature as each ACL feature uses a single TCAM bank only. There is a process to do TCAM bank chaining if 16,000 ACLs isnt enough - http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/routers/7000-series-routers/116151-problemsolution-product-00.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card