cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Performance on Cisco 3945 running IOS 15.3(3)

david.tran
Level 4
Level 4

I have a very simple scenario with Cisco 3945 running IOS c3900-universalk9-mz.SPA.153-3.M.bin with two interfaces g0/0 (external) and g0/1 (internal).

I setup NAT on the router as follows:

ip cef

interface g0/0

ip address 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.252

ip nat outside

interface g0/1

ip address 192.168.1.254 255.255.255.0

ip nat inside

ip access-list extended nat

permit ip 192.168.190.0 0.0.0.255 any

ip nat inside source list nat interface g0/0 overload

then I have a linux host with ip address 192.168.1.254 behind g0/1 with the gateway of the router 192.168.1.254.  I am able to push 950Mbps through the router without any issues.  So far so good.

No I decide to create an ACL and apply this ACL on interfage g0/0:

ip access-list extended External

permit ip any any log

interface g0/0

ip access-group External in

When I apply the ACL on the External interface, the throughput on the router goes from 950Mbps down to 160Mbps, an 80% drop in performance.  Why?

Anyone knows how to improve this?

Thanks,

4 Replies 4

Lei Tian
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Is the log keyword. Log will force the packet being process switched, so performance will drop.

HTH,

Lei Tian

Thanks.  That does work.  However, that does not explain the fact that I am not seeing performance issues on the ASR 1002 and I have about 2000 lines of ACL on the ASR external interface.

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

The ASR is a different architecture, it has hardware forwarding.  (Note: the ASR 1K series, seems to be somewhat like the earlier 7300 series with NSE-100 or -150 or the 7200 series with NSE-1.)

Additionally, the prior 7200s, but not ISRs, had a "compiled ACL" feature that would improve performance for lengthy ACLs - don't know if the ASR 1K has that too.

Non-technically, 3945 vs. ASR 1002 is comparing apples to oranges. 

Hi,

ASR is different platform. It uses hardware offload most if the features, just like 6500, 7600. If still not convinced, hope the following document help.
http://www.cisco.com/web/about/security/intelligence/acl-logging.html

HTH,
Lei Tian

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card