Cisco Support Community
Community Member

Performance Routing and iBGP

I'm just starting to get my feet wet with Performance Routing and I was wondering how I should classify my iBGP link. Is it internal or external? Does is really matter? My topology consists of two Cisco ISR G2 3945s running 15.2(4)M6a acting as border routers. Each router has one eBGP connection to a single ISP. The routers are directly connected to each other as well and I'm running iBGP across that link so each router has routing information from both of the ISPs. If the directly attached ISP doesn't have the best path to a given prefix, the traffic gets sent across the iBGP link to egress the other ISP. The MC is on another router. The iBGP link is 1Gbps and our two eBGP links are about 100Mbps. 

I'm thinking it should be classified as internal. I obviously don't need to worry about capacity on the link since its fed by 2 x 100Mbps connections and I don't need to set any specific PfR policies on it. Can anyone share their experiences on how they configured PfR in this situation

Super Bronze

DisclaimerThe Author of this

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

The external interfaces are those you want PfR to analyze performance for.  So, from what you describe, your iBGP would be defined as internal.

CreatePlease to create content