cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Permanent loopback troubleshooting capability?

CanEHdian
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Just wondering if it's possible to enable a permanent loopback capability on my T1 controller/serial interface - without affecting regular traffic.

I've got 1841 routers with VWIC2-1MFT-T1/E1 cards, simply running PPP with an IP address on the serial.

Thanks in advance,

Al

2 Replies 2

rajivrajan1
Level 3
Level 3

no it can not be done.is it posssible to explain the requirement in more detail?

Requirement: The T1 circuit is not ours, therefore we must contact our partners in this project to inform them of any failures (we do the monitoring, PING of serial interface), at which point people at their end begin troubleshooting. For this, they often ask us to enable a loopback at our end in order to help them identify where the problem with the circuit may exist. Unfortunately, this happens often (flaky circuit) and it would be nice if we didn't need to jump through any hoops to accomodate them in the troubleshooting... hence, having a loopback respond at all times sure would make life easy.

A friend mentioned that I could use the "PPP loopback ignore" command (on the controller I believe), which would allow loopback requests to be responded to by the router... yet, I have no idea if this would affect regular traffic when enabled...

Thoughts on this anyone??

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: