Views
Helpful
Replies

PFR with Dual Router and Dual ISP connected to MPLS

eandrcisco007
Level 1
Level 1

Gentlemen,

Would it be feasible to configure PfR/OER on two different routers, each connects to a different ISP with different speed , both goes through MPLS and make it work by configuring MC and BR on one router and just border router on the second router, so we can have one master/BR on one router and just a BR on the second router? and If yes, what would be the best approach ? (between static routing and BGP) and if no...what other solutions are available....?

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I've done something similar, on multiple router pairs, so I would think it's possible.

If your ISPs are providing Internet, I've found you can run with default to the Internet, and let OER/PfR rebalance.

If your ISPs are providing some kind of VPN over MPLS, I take the BGP routes (and again let OER/PfR rebalance).

View solution in original post

19 Replies 19

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I've done something similar, on multiple router pairs, so I would think it's possible.

If your ISPs are providing Internet, I've found you can run with default to the Internet, and let OER/PfR rebalance.

If your ISPs are providing some kind of VPN over MPLS, I take the BGP routes (and again let OER/PfR rebalance).

Thank you so much Joseph, ... This is going to help me down the road since i have never gone through this path before. (Is there any sample configuration that i can refer to?)

Now, I have got another question, given that i am going to take the BGP path, how can i load balance traffic between two different locations with similar ISP and speed?

(FYI> the traffic is constantly replicating between these two locations).

I mean from one location ( going outside) to another location ( going inside) for both connection (1st connection has 100mbps and the 2nd one has 50mbps) , how can i segregate traffic based on its links (Traffic from 100mbps from 1st location only hit 100mbps link on the 2nd location and the same story for 50mbps)

All i mean is what if the traffic from 100bmps from 1st location hit the traffic on the 2nd location that has 50mbps? Would OER/PfR rebalance?

Thank you.

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

BGP supports equal cost load balancing.  So, if two paths offer about the same bandwidth, you start with that and let OER/PfR dynamically rebalance.

If path balances are very dissimilar, you start with a preference with the path with more bandwidth, and, again, you allow OER/PfR to dynamically rebalance.

OER/PfR supports load balancing of dissimilar path bandwidths.  For example, in your case of 100 Mbps vs. 50 Mbps, it would try to keep the load on both at the same load percentage.

BTW, OER/PfR has an allowance to how different (as a percentage) the different port loading can be, before it will rebalance.  It's also a bit slow moving flows about.  So, at any point in time, you'll rarely see multiple ports at the same loading (percentage).

You can segregate different traffic to different paths using PBR (IMO a pain to support).  Better, I think, is QoS to manage congestion.  PfR is QoS class aware.  (I.e. it can treat different QoS classified traffic differently.)

great stuff.... thank you Joseph... I got to take the dissimilar path bandwidth....

So I am preparing a LAB in GNS3 to see how it really operates... but in the meantime i was wondering if there is a sample configuration that i can use as a guidance to setup and get to the outcome...

Let me know please.

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

I used it (extensively) at my last company, but not at the one I'm at now and unfortunately I don't have any of my previous configs.

There should, I would expect, be some basic examples on Cisco's main site.

Got it and thank you.

Joseph,

Given that we configure PfR/OER for outbound traffic in one location with two Router and two ISP (100 and 50 mbps) into MPLS,  would it be possible to configure PfR/OER for inbound traffic in another location with the same spec. utilizing PfR/OER link utilization for Inbound traffic to modify entrance links based on 100 and 50 mbps and to make sure incoming traffic would not chock the 100 mbps (primary link) for the 2nd location?

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

OER, no, PfR yes.  However, the latter is a bit complex.

What I've done was just take into account outbound bandwidth and allow OER or PfR to manage best performance.  I.e. it will juggle its own outbound flows to obtain best performance and as this is impacted by ingress congestion, it will "sort of" balance your other side's ingress.

oh wow...now the problem is my (3800) router that it wont support PfR and only OER according to its IOS!

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

If I remember correctly, 12.4 supports OER but 12.4T supports PfR.

I could not find anything specifically says 12.4T is supporting PfR but i am going to do some more research, but in the meantime , how about Cisco IOS Release15.1(1) T ?

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

If I do remember correctly that PfR came out in 12.4T, any 15x version should support it.

BTW, I also recall, you might need an IPService features set, or better, too.  I.e. feature might not be in IPBase.

Great and thank you Joseph, I would be gladly stick to 12.4T.

I have already tested it on 12.4 and it only supports oer and no pfr so 12.4T would do the magic i suppose.

well... after carefull consideration, i would rather update it to 15x instead of 12.4T so that we can have similar IOS version between our primary and backup router in this location but in the meantime would it be ok to have the older IOS vesion on the 2nd location where PfR supposed to balance traffic based on its ingress...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: