Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

PIM problem...

Heres the situation,

I am trying to PING one of the loopback interfaces (bieng used as a RP) and I am dropping aroung 60% of packets. Ping from the other site to this RP are excellent as well as the other interfaces of the router on which RP loopback is configured. The ping to the same RP from different sites are good! We are running OSPF.. ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED!

1 REPLY

Re: PIM problem...

Pinging a loopback and getting 40% success is a unicast issue. Troubleshoot just like any unicast routing issue. Find the path that the ping takes and examines where in the path the drop is occuring. That will mean pinging each next hop to the destination and until you find the drop. Take the following example:

r1 e1----e2 r2 e3----e4 r4 e5---e6 r6

Loopback on r6 is not pingable or losing packet if ping from r1. from r1 ping the ip address of e3, e4 then e5, then e6. see which of the interfaces is also dropping. This is simplified of course but the point is there is a path to the destination and isolating where the drop along the path, if any.

I hope this helps.

Please rate helpful posts.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content