ping problem on 2621

olakunle06
Level 1
Level 1

hi everyone,

i have two enet port on this router

fe0/0-10.116.144.1

fe0/1-10.16.144.17.

issue is i have a pc1 connected with .5 and pinging the router fe0/0 interface and pc1 was successfull from the router.however for pc2 connected with .21 i could only ping the router interface fe0/1 .17 but cannot ping pc2 .21 from the router.

with sh ip int bri. all interface are up and show int fa0/1 displays up up as shown.wat could be wrong pls.

show ip int bri

Interface IP-Address OK? Method Status Prot

ocol

FastEthernet0/0 10.116.144.1 YES NVRAM up up

Serial0/0 10.116.145.101 YES NVRAM down down

FastEthernet0/1 10.116.144.17 YES NVRAM up up

Serial0/1 10.116.145.201 YES NVRAM down down

Serial0/2 10.116.145.109 YES NVRAM up up

Serial0/3 10.116.145.209 YES NVRAM up up

Serial1/0 10.116.145.133 YES NVRAM up up

Serial1/1 10.116.145.137 YES NVRAM down down

Serial1/2 10.116.145.125 YES NVRAM up up

Serial1/3 10.116.145.225 YES NVRAM down down

#show int fa 0/1

FastEthernet0/1 is up, line protocol is up

Hardware is AmdFE, address is 0017.945d.5921 (bia 0017.945d.5921)

Description: HUBpth2h2

Internet address is 10.116.144.17/28

MTU 1500 bytes, BW 100000 Kbit, DLY 100 usec,

reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255

Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set

Keepalive set (10 sec)

Full-duplex, 100Mb/s, 100BaseTX/FX

ARP type: ARPA, ARP Timeout 04:00:00

Last input 00:00:00, output 00:00:03, output hang never

Last clearing of "show interface" counters never

Input queue: 1/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0

Queueing strategy: fifo

Output queue: 0/40 (size/max)

5 minute input rate 1000 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec

5 minute output rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec

274 packets input, 37966 bytes

Received 98 broadcasts, 0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles

0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored

0 watchdog

0 input packets with dribble condition detected

140 packets output, 15670 bytes, 0 underruns

0 output errors, 0 collisions, 2 interface resets

0 babbles, 0 late collision, 0 deferred

5 lost carrier, 0 no carrier

0 output buffer failures, 0 output buffers swapped out

14 Replies 14

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As was responded where you posted essentially this same question in this forum with a different title, the most likely issue is a firewall on the PC is allowing it to ping but not allowing it to be pinged. Please disable the firewall on the PC and see if that resolves the problem.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

thanks for the reply,but used thesame pc tp ping the fa0/0 interface and it worked with firewall already disabled,this strange to me ,could there be further help.this is happening on three other routers

If you are trying it on different interfaces, are you changing its IP address each time you try a different interface or different router? And especially important, are you changing its default gateway when you try a different interface or different router?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

hi

thanks for the interest, ichanged the ip and DG and is still persists, disabled firewall on the pc.wat and i have the interface fa0/1 up but still cant ping fron the router and pc

Hi, successful ping from PC to router, but not viceversa, is a an exact proff that firewall is enabled.

Beside ping, does the network work for the PC ?

i mean i cant ping vis-a-vis router and p.c

can you provide the output of fa0/0 and what is fa0/1 connected to ? and where is the PC2 connected ?

Can you tracert from the pc and also try a tracert from the router and let us know the output.

find attached the config output.waiting for ur swift response

I took a brief look at the router config. It appears to be ok and there are no access lists or anything else that I can see that would affect the ability to ping.

The file that you posted which has the PC information has good information on the first connection. It includes the ipconfig information which allows us to confirm the PC IP address, mask, and default gateway. And it shows successful ping for the PC address and successful ping for the router interface.

Then it is labeled as PC2 - but the prompt still looks like PC1. It shows the attempt to ping the router interface which fails. It does not have the ipconfig information - so we can NOT confirm the PC address, mask, or default gateway. Since there is not anything to show that the PC addressing changed, are we to assume that it is still using the same IP address? If so that is the problem. You can not connect to a different subnet and continue to use the same address. If that is not the case then you need to post a file which shows the ipconfig output for the failed attempt.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

find attached for pc2.thanx as i want to get this resolved

hi,

everything seems fine on the router.

The pc output has been shown seems from VMware.

Corrent me if i am wrong but u are using a single machine with VMWare to act as 2 PC.

I had a problem like simillar to this in windows team.

they did some changes in the vmware config.

>edit vritual seeting

>ethenet

>net connted

check if it is bridge or NAT or host only custom.

if there is a diffrence you will not able to ping.

thats what i got an updte from.

Lets us know.

I have looked at the additional file and find the information helpful - though I still have not identified the problem. The address, mask, and gateway seem appropriate and match the interface parameters of the router.

Would you please test again and this time capture and post from the router the output of show interface and show arp done immediately after the attempt to ping from PC2. Also please post the output of arp -a from the PC immediately after the attempt to ping.

I do notice something in the file that puzzles me. The last thing in the file is an attempt to tracert from the PC. But the address in the command and the address in the message from the PC indicating that it is about to trace are different in the second and fourth octet. Why would these addresses be different? Is this perhaps something that could explain the problem with ping?

C:\Documents and Settings\vodiamma>tracert 10.116.144.17

Tracing route to 10.111.144.19 over a maximum of 30 hops

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I have the feeling that it some thing to do with the VMware.

thanks for helping to resolve this,a sh arp on the router displaces only the router ip and does not include the pc address.

and arp -a on the PC only displays the pc address.

concerning the tracert it was a typo mistake. tanx and awaiting further help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco