Views
Helpful
Replies

Pinging router over WAN

cufootwrk
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I have a site in another city. I can ping the local loop back address, but can not ping the local lan interface.

Is it true, that I will not be able to ping that local lan address (10.x.x.x) without having any devices on the lan (switches, printers, pc's, etc.)?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

You should be able to ping the remote LAN address if the interface is up and you have a route to that network. If the remote LAN int isn't connected to any device, like switch/pc, then it wouldn't be up.

For testing purposes, you can configure the command 'no keeplive' on the LAN interface and that would keep the interface up even when it isn't connected to anything.

HTH

Sundar

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hi,

You should be able to ping the remote LAN address if the interface is up and you have a route to that network. If the remote LAN int isn't connected to any device, like switch/pc, then it wouldn't be up.

For testing purposes, you can configure the command 'no keeplive' on the LAN interface and that would keep the interface up even when it isn't connected to anything.

HTH

Sundar

Makes sense...I had someone at the remote site and plug in a switch and bingo I could ping the LAN interface. As soon as I unplugged it, I would lose pingability.

Thanks again!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card