cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX and 3750 failover

warren.miller
Level 1
Level 1

I would like some suggestion to the best possible configuration for two 3750's to an active/passive Pix 515 pair. We currently have the two 3750s setup as a single stack, one port on the primary switch is connected to the Primary PIX, we are about to introduce the failover pix.

What is the best method of connecting the failover pix to the 3750 stack as I do not believe we can use HSRP on two ports within a stack.

Can you make any suggestions as to how best to connect the failover pix with full resiliance, i.e. HSRP on the two core ports with failover on the inside interface on the pix.

Thanks

1 Reply 1

Hello Warren,

if there is not a specific requirement to have the 3750s in a stack, you could configure them in a cluster, and make one of them the cluster command device, and the other the standby command device. You could then configure HSRP between the switches, and also configure routing redundancy. Check the link below for details on this setup.

Also, how about just configuring the PIX failover feature between the PIX firewalls themselves (using the failover cable) ? Would not be sufficient in your situation ?

Configuring HSRP Groups and Clustering

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008047646d.html#wp1057154

Regards,

GP

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card