cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX and Switch VLAN Question

rasoftware
Level 1
Level 1

I need a bit of advice on a setup i'm proposing.

We want to use a switch 2950 or similar L2 switch to create multiple VLANs to give to each customer at our site which we can do. Inter-VLAN routing is not required. I want to provide each with internet access by plugging in a PIX or router into one of the switch ports to provide VLAN trunking to the whole switch and the VLANS. I also want to use the DMZ port on pix/router to provide non-natted connections also for those that want it. I also want to have some kind of QoS to restrict each VLAN port to a maximum bandwidth.

I don't have the hardware available at them moment to test this but does it sound possible?

1) Am I better using a PIX or router. I read somewhere the PIX wont support VLAN trunking?

2)Is QoS the correct thing to be using to restrict bandwidth? ie if the pay for 200Kbs I can restrict that port to 200Kbs.

3) Would a layer 3 switch be better and just a simple router as a gateway?

I've attached a diagram of what im trying to do!

2 Replies 2

sean
Level 3
Level 3

With pix version 7 and at least a PIX 515E, you can trunk. You just create the subinterfaces required on the PIX, but there is a limit to the number of subinterfaces allowed.

QoS will work for rate-limiting, but will depend on where you are trying to impose the limit. For example, if you have a simple layer 2 switch and a router, you would only be able to rate-limit only on the router interface. This would be fine for downloading (from the end-user perspective) but uploading is not rate-limited until it hits the router interface. This might cause an issue if too many individuals have a virus on their network connection, and kill the switch. Higher end switches allow greater functionality at the port level, but they cost more.

Depends on what kind of layer 3 switch you were going to use. If you used something high end like a 4500 or 6500 (with the right sup), that would definitely be better than a low end router (just depends on the budget and application). If it is only a 3550, then it is nice, but you loose some of the features on a router such as NBAR. This may not be a big deal, but if you are trying to clean up traffic and make it more efficient, NBAR definitely helps.

Hi, thanks for the info.

What I would be looking at is a single VLAN per port. The clients would then use this port as access to the internet. I would like to limit upload and download on a switch single port is this possible?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card