cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Please help with new configuration

bellaireroad
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I am configuring a 1941 and have a problem with internet connectivity.  G0/0 tests ok, but it will take IE 30-40 seconds to open, as if it is negotiating the route.  One IE has opened, web browsing is fast as expected.  I suspect someting is missing from the configuration that is attached.  Any pointers? thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Roger,

I'm pretty sure I understand why they get different addresses, the request for an address comes from the MAC address of the router. Depending on the lease duration, renewal etc. when one router is in the circuit it boots up and asks for an address, the server receives the request looks at the MAC and checks to see if it's already issued an address for the MAC, and the lease status and sends the response it deems appropriate, i.e the address that's been issued or a new address.

It'd make more sense if the 1811, kept the old address, that said, I'm not sure thats the problem.  If you want you can change the MAC address of the 1941 that it has the same MAC address on g0/0 as the 1811, which will mean that it will get the same IP address. I believe the config would be something like

int G0/0

mac-address hhhh.hhhh.hhhh (1811's address, or something else)

ip address dhcp client-id GigabitEthernet0/0

ip nat outside

ip virtual-reassembly

duplex auto

speed auto

no cdp enable

no mop enabled

My bad with asking to check g0/1, I wanted to know the lease details from your ISP. i.e when it expires, when its renewed etc.

What about PING, does it work the same with the 1941 and 1811? What version software is the 1941 running?

Tony

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

tony.henry_2
Level 1
Level 1

Roger,

Configuration looks ok. I'd be interested in the DHCP lease that you get from your ISP. How many computers do you have on your G0/1 side. Is the problem like that on each one or just the first one to start up? Have you tried another browers just for interest sake?

Tony

Hello Tony,

Not sure, but the lease may be the problem.   I asy this because I am migrating routers from a 1811W.  When the 1811W is connected, the IP address is different than when the 1941 is connected.  I got the 1941 running yesterday.  When it was first setup, the IP address that was given was the same IP address I have had for a year, and internet access was as expected. 

I just put the 1811W back in line, and took out the 1941.  The 1811W shows a new IP address, and the internet access seems normal.  Next I put the 1941 back in line, and I get the old IP address on it, and IE will open after 30 secs or more, but wil eventually connect...... Not sure why this behaivor is occuring.

Best Regards,

Roger

Roger,

I don't think there is a config problem with the 1941. If you leave the 1941 in place, do you get the 30s delay everytime you start IE or just the first time? Are there any other PC's? and do they all have the same problem?

The problem looks like an old dial on demand circuit (it's not), I'd be really surprised if the router didn't bother asking for an ip address until NAT packets were going out.

So maybe you need to look at the G0/1 interface before you start IE, check that it's up and that it's been assigned an address.

Tony

bellaireroad
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Tony,

the problem occurs every time IE is opened.  When it finally opens ....browsing occurs normally.... until it is shut down and restarted.  the problem occurs across all computers on the network,

I dont understand why switching back and forth between the 1941 and 1811W causes a different IP address.  1941 gets IP address and 1811W gets IP address .  I have switched them back and forth several times and each gets its own separate IP address each time, and its always for 1941 and for 1811W. By the way, the 1811W is set up for DHCP at the F0/0 interface, just as the 1911 is set up for DHCP at G0/0

IP address   has been my IP address for the past year.  The 1811w gets IP address .  This is a new IP address. 

IE works on 1811W, IE is slow to open on 1941. 

I didnt understand what you meant by checking the G0/1 interface.  It is fixed at 192.168.1.1.  

Roger,

I'm pretty sure I understand why they get different addresses, the request for an address comes from the MAC address of the router. Depending on the lease duration, renewal etc. when one router is in the circuit it boots up and asks for an address, the server receives the request looks at the MAC and checks to see if it's already issued an address for the MAC, and the lease status and sends the response it deems appropriate, i.e the address that's been issued or a new address.

It'd make more sense if the 1811, kept the old address, that said, I'm not sure thats the problem.  If you want you can change the MAC address of the 1941 that it has the same MAC address on g0/0 as the 1811, which will mean that it will get the same IP address. I believe the config would be something like

int G0/0

mac-address hhhh.hhhh.hhhh (1811's address, or something else)

ip address dhcp client-id GigabitEthernet0/0

ip nat outside

ip virtual-reassembly

duplex auto

speed auto

no cdp enable

no mop enabled

My bad with asking to check g0/1, I wanted to know the lease details from your ISP. i.e when it expires, when its renewed etc.

What about PING, does it work the same with the 1941 and 1811? What version software is the 1941 running?

Tony

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the detailed explanation on the router's MAC...really helpfull...great information.

Best Regards,

Roger

Roger,

I hope it's this easy. I've just noticed that you have'nt got a static route to the default gw. You wouldn't by any chance be able to share the 1811's config?

Thanks

Tony

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi roger,

is the same observed when using firefox or other web browser?

what device is connected behind your 1941's G0/1 port? can you try to hardcode it to 100/full?

as tony pointed out, you would need to configure a static route. try using the command

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 dhcp

Hi John,

the problem was occuring with chrome, did not try firefox. There is a procurve switch on the G0/1. 

This seemed to be an issue with the modem.  I spent some time last night on the phone with the good folks at Charter.and they reset the modem, and all is good.

Thanks to you and Tony for taking your time to help.

Best Regards,

Roger

hi roger,

thanks for informing your issue has been resolved. although resetting the modem can be a quick fix, the same issue might haunt you again. try to ask your ISP what's the root cause and if they can replace a new modem for you. also, try to hardcode the speed/duplex settings between your 1941 and procurve switch ports.

Roger,

Glad it's working, happy to have provided what little assistance I could.

Tony

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card