Views
Helpful
Replies

pls advice on border bgp router

julxu
Level 1
Level 1

Greeting

Can I get an advice on bgp router with including static,eigrp and bgp internla/external, with 1G or more cooper/fibre ports, with ipv4/ipv6, nat, netflew, and some otherthings?

Any comments will be appreciated

Thanks in advance

julxu

4 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

the small and cheap variant is c7200 NPE-G1(or NPE-G2), more expansive is ASR serie.

I find c7200 actuall is perfect solution for the traffic upto 1Gbit, for the heavy traffic you should look into hardware-based switched platform

View solution in original post

Hi Julxu,

to answer  your question one need at least to know how many traffic are you going to process, e.g. c2821 has 2 GBit ports onboard and can forward upto 100Mbit  full featute and has IPSec-VPN accelerator card. But from price I'd say it not so much difference to NPE-G1.

Hi,

the most disadvantage of those small switching platform is verty limited support on "routing features" - the limited  number of routing entries in the routing table (no full BGP), no Netflow support, limited QoS and so on. If you need just to route a couple of prefixes from one port to other  then switches would be a good solution.

NPE-G1 or NPE-G2 are the processor routing linecards for c7200, G1 kann upto 500Mbit, G2 upto 1Gbit of routing with full features.

avarage 300mbps, and max 700mbps time by time, is it ok for L3 switch?

300 Mbps is not a definition of "traffic not very high".

Are you going to do NAT-ing?  Because if you do, no Layer 3 switch can do this feature.

I'd consider getting a 7200VXR with NPE-G2. 

9 Replies 9

mvsheik123
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Your cisco sales rep can suggest you better based on your requirements & budget, but I tguess 72xx may be a good fit.

Thx

MS

the small and cheap variant is c7200 NPE-G1(or NPE-G2), more expansive is ASR serie.

I find c7200 actuall is perfect solution for the traffic upto 1Gbit, for the heavy traffic you should look into hardware-based switched platform

thank the reply from ms and konstantin.

can I get confirm, that I can not use some brench cheap router for multi bgp home purpose edge routers? correct?

and can I get confirm that I do not need to use ASR serie since there is no services/application involved.

it is only edge router to link to ISP. so the cheapest wan router will service the purpose? and the c7200 NPE-G1

Please advice

julxu

Hi Julxu,

to answer  your question one need at least to know how many traffic are you going to process, e.g. c2821 has 2 GBit ports onboard and can forward upto 100Mbit  full featute and has IPSec-VPN accelerator card. But from price I'd say it not so much difference to NPE-G1.

since all the connection are SPF and copper, I guess, I also can use L3 switch. what is the bad point if I use L3 switch, something like, catalyst 2900 or 3600, or 3700?

if I use them, are they capible for multi-home external/internal BGP?

I think the traffic is  not very high, 1 Gbit ports are required, at least need more than 4 ports.

NPE-G1, is a module?  am I wrong? 

Please advice

What is your WAN bandwidth?

if I say, avarage 300mbps, and max 700mbps time by time, is it ok for L3 switch?

avarage 300mbps, and max 700mbps time by time, is it ok for L3 switch?

300 Mbps is not a definition of "traffic not very high".

Are you going to do NAT-ing?  Because if you do, no Layer 3 switch can do this feature.

I'd consider getting a 7200VXR with NPE-G2. 

Hi,

the most disadvantage of those small switching platform is verty limited support on "routing features" - the limited  number of routing entries in the routing table (no full BGP), no Netflow support, limited QoS and so on. If you need just to route a couple of prefixes from one port to other  then switches would be a good solution.

NPE-G1 or NPE-G2 are the processor routing linecards for c7200, G1 kann upto 500Mbit, G2 upto 1Gbit of routing with full features.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: