cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PMTUD question

m.sir
Level 7
Level 7

I wonder when and who sends path MTU discovery?? Is sends by PC when communication is esthablised, is it resend periodically??? What about situation when ICMP blocked and PMTUD cannot be send

Thx

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Milan

PMTUD is done between end stations on a connection. So if one of the end stations is a PC then yes it is sent from the PC.

PMTUD is performed when the connection is established. And it is performed by both end stations. Whether it is performed later in the connection depends on how the IP stack in the end station is written.

The essence of PMTUD is sending a packet with the DF bit set in the header. If the end station receives an ICMP error indicating that fragmentation was required but DF set, then the end station knows that it needs to use a smaller size frame and makes adjustment. If ICMP is blocked and the error response is not received then the end station never knows what the optimum size is and may send frames that are too large, they will be discarded, and it will appear that the application is not working. I have encountered this many times. We get a complaint from users that something in the network is not working. And when we troubleshoot it, we find that someone was blocking ICMP, and that PMTUD did not discover the frame size was too large, and that is why the application is not working. Blocking all ICMP may sound like a good idea to some peoople who are concentrating on making their network more secure. But this discussion shows one reason why blocking all ICMP is counter-productive.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

The response from Rick pretty much covers everything so I am just going to provide you with a link in case you want to get into more specifics of PMTUD and real world scenarios:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk827/tk369/technologies_white_paper09186a00800d6979.shtml

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card