cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Point to Point links pinging.

anthonypriore
Level 1
Level 1

I have a customer who we are slowly moving off ATM to private fiber. I recently converted one link and can not ping from that router to other routers that are still on ATM. If I do an extended ping from any interface I can ping. The network is running EIGP and the whole 10.0.0.0 network is advertised. All machines seem to work and when you do a trace route the correct path is followed. What could be stopping pings? Am I missing a route?

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Anthony

There are some parts of your explanation that I am not entirely clear about. So if we do not quickly resolve your issue it may be helpful to have a bit more detail about what was done.

I have experienced one thing that produces symptoms like what you describe. Is it possible that in the conversion that one of the interface IP addresses was changed or that one of the subnet masks was changed and the two routers are not both members of the same logical subnet? Would it be possible for you to post the interface configuration of both routers?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I have attached the configs from the 2 switchs that I added the PTP on. I also marked where I made the changses and added the vlans. The real problem is that when I ping from the (middle school router) to the far side I can not get past the switch, i have to do an extended ping. If I use a computer on the middle school side I can ping just fine to the High School and into to wan router.

Also this is the only switch that can not ping the internet. All other s can and it used to be able till I made the changes.

Anthony

I have looked through the config files that you posted. While I still do not completely understand the explanation of the problem I believe that I have found the issue which has two parts. Both of the switch/routers have created VLAN600 and assigned IP addresses that create subnet 10.200.82.0. But I can not find that either of them has any interfaces (ports) that are assigned to this VLAN. So the VLAN interface and subnet exists but have no physical connectivity.

The real problem is that WNY_MDF has created this static default route:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.200.82.1

So its default route is to an address in the locally connected subnet which is not reachable.

I believe that if you assign the right ports/interfaces to VLAN600 that things will work.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick

I think I see what you are saying:

Also I found a route in the Config of the core that point the 10.200.82.0 network to aan address no longer used.

Thanks

For your help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card