cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Point-to-Point T1 & Encryption

mitchell.smith
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I am connecting 2 offices with 1841-T1SEC/K9 routers over an AT&T point-to-point T1. I have always done this with Internet T1's and IPSec VPNs in the past. What is the best practice for data encryption in this type of connection, is it even needed? I was thinking about an IPSec VPN running thru a GRE tunnel.

Also, what are the pros & cons of using PPP vs HDLC encapsulation when doing a point-to-point T1?

Thanks for your help & advice!

Mitchell

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Encrypting on P2P circuits is getting pretty common. We have to do it if the demarc is outside of our control (ie common area in basement). The easiest way IMO is to use GRE and encrypt across the tunnel. PPP gets you some added features like compression, passwords, and open standards, but they both work just fine.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

satish_zanjurne
Level 4
Level 4

why you need the encryption on your T1 point-to-point link , if it is not internet link ??

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Encrypting on P2P circuits is getting pretty common. We have to do it if the demarc is outside of our control (ie common area in basement). The easiest way IMO is to use GRE and encrypt across the tunnel. PPP gets you some added features like compression, passwords, and open standards, but they both work just fine.

Hope that helps.

Collin,

Thanks for the help, just what I needed to know.

Mitchell

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card