Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Policy Based Load Balancing

I have 2 DSL connections one is connected to 871 router and other is directly connected to switch i want to terminate second line in to the 871 router so when 1 DSL fails the other takes up as well as i have a VPN so when the DSL breaks the VPN goes down too so plz help me out

10 REPLIES

Re: Policy Based Load Balancing

Dear imranraheel,

Could you clarify more, as i can not understand how you terminate the DSL line on the switch!

Best Regards,

Mounir Mohamed

dear imran,

can u little bit elaborate.

Imran,

Can you let us know about your current setup. Since, to my understanding Cisco 871 is called as Ethernet router and I am wondering how you applied DSL configs in that. Please excuse if I am wrong.

Kindly let us know a bit clear and some one might help you out.

Thanks

Rajesh

Ok rajesh but u have to solve my problem after getting this info

my dsl is terminated in a dsl modem having global ip and than it is terminted in to cisco 871 router

I have 2 DSL connections 1 is directly terminated in to the 871 Router and the this router is performing natting as well as on this connection i have vpn to.All is working fine now we have bought another DSL connetion so i want to utilize this connection too as if one dsl goes down other takes up as well as want to enable policy based routing for example if sales department with specific IP wants to use internet they are routed to certain dsl connection

Gold

I assume you have the dsl connected via a modem to the WAN port on the 871 since a 871 does not have a native dsl interface.

To attach your second DSL connection you basically need another interface. You will end up with 3 total 2 isp connections and your lan.

The way to do this with the 871 it to put one of the switch ports in another vlan and define a vlan interface to use as your outside interface. You can leave the other 3 ports in vlan 1 if that is where you have them.

You treat the new vlan interface as a nat outside interface just like the wan interface.

This is a link that talks about how to use 2 ISP when you do not run a routing protocol. It uses policy routing with the track option.

You will need to modify it slightly so that you can have some users have one as the primary and other have the other but they still back each other up. Make sure you use have 2 nat overload statements since you need to make sure the correct address is selected based on the outbound interface

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk364/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080211f5c.shtml

You will have to verify that you have the correct software levels to support these features because some are very new and other require the advanced version of the ios

gr8 thanks

Well tried but i guess 871 only supports 1 VLAN

Hope your IOS should be ?advsecurity? which is the factory default IOS and this will not allow you to create additional vlans. By upgrading to ?advipservices? you can create the extra Vlans. Check the IOS and let us know.

Thanks

Rajesh

IOS version is 12.3(8)Yl1 andSDM version is 2.1.1

Views
Helpful
Replies