cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Policy Based Routing With Backup Internet Connection

imranraheel
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 Internet connections over my 1841 router , 1 is terminated over the serial link and the other one over the ethernet link where as the 2nd ethernet port is for internal network. I want to implemet policy based routing so when ever some one tries to access any perticular IP he is routed through the 2nd internet connection also i want to know is there any way to shift the circuit automatically when the primary circuit ges down.

2 Replies 2

Imran,

First of all just define the traffic you want to send each link. Also add a backup link for them.

After that just do the following link to beat NAT problems.

Please check this link out.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk361/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080950834.shtml

HTH,

Toshi

Imran

If I am understanding your post correctly your primary Internet connection is the serial interface and the Ethernet connection is to be used as secondary/backup. If this is the case then a simple floating static default route using the Ethernet next hop should accomplish what you want.

Note that configuration of the Ethernet as a seconary/backup link is not necessarily related to what you configure for Policy Based Routing. The backup should operate independently from the PBR.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card