Views
Helpful
Replies

Policy Routing - recursive feature

vladrac-ccna
Level 5
Level 5

Hello,

I need to do some sort of Reliable Policy Routing.

I was thinking about using 1 of the 2 features:

-Policy Based Routing: Recursive Next Hop

-PBR Support for Multiple Tracking Options

Does anyone know exactly how set ip next hop recursive works?

I mean,

My first go would be sending traffic to a directly connected router, but if this router goes down I would need to send to a another router (I'm using ethernet and a l2 device to connect these 2, so interface could stay up).

So, my question is:

If I set ip next hop recursive IP1 IP2

would it mean that if I cant get to IP1 , I would go to IP2 and these 2 IPs could be not directly connected to my router?

Hope this is not very confusing. I'm trying to better understand this recursive feature.

Vlad

2 Replies 2

Not applicable

The PBR Recursive Next Hop feature enhances route maps to enable configuration of a recursive next-hop IP address that is used by policy-based routing (PBR). The recursive next-hop IP address is installed in the routing table and can be a subnet that is not directly connected. If the recursive next-hop IP address is not available, packets are routed using a default route.

This URL should help you:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1829/products_feature_guide09186a008021de72.html

Thanks for the reply,

my questions would be, if 1 have 2 routers and want to use a back up and primary. (both connected via ethernet).

How can I set up policy routing to guarantee that once 1 router is not reachable, the next hop will point to the second router.

I was thinking about pointing to a loopback inside router 1 and then point to loopback on router 2

set ip next-hop recursive Loop0-r1-IP

set ip next-hop recurvise Loop0-r2-IP

will this work?

Vlad

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card