cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Port mirror on router

JoeMcHale
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way to monitor a serial port on a 3845 router. I want to attach a protocol analzer to check network traffice

9 Replies 9

sean
Level 3
Level 3

You would have to put the device inline. If you have a trunk from a switch to your router that ends up passing all the traffic you are interested in, you could just do a monitor session on the switch port. Hope this helps.

Is there no way to monitor a serial port

you can have debug command on serial interface...

the following link will show you various debug command...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1828/products_command_reference_chapter09186a008007ff87.html

but debugs are cpu intensives

hope this helps

rate this post if it helps

regards

Devang

Is there no way to monitor a serial port

devang_etcom
Level 7
Level 7

switches are having capability to configure their port as switch port analyser SPAN...where you can connect the host with the capturing or analzer which capture the packet and show you the various statics of packets so you can try it out by creating such a topology but still have problem for serial port...

hope this will help you

rate this post if it helps

regards

Devang

sean
Level 3
Level 3

There is not a way to monitor the serial port for what you are wanting to do.

tdrais
Level 7
Level 7

Unless you want to get creative and policy route your traffic out and back in a ethernet port or do some nasty bridging you will need a real serial analzer to get into a serial line.

If you turn on ip route-cache flow on the serial port you will get some basic information about ip addresses paris and ports used. I don't think there is a way to get the payload with a router command..

There is a new feature in IOS that should make this possible. The feature is IP Traffic Export and was introduced in 12.3(4)T. I have not used this feature myself and so can not say from experience how well it works. But the documentation claims that it exports traffic onto a LAN interface where the traffic may have arrived on LAN or WAN interfaces. So it sounds exactly like what the original post wants to do.

This link should be information to get you going:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6350/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080455b94.html

My thanks to Sundar who originally pointed this out.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick thanks to you and Sundar this sounds the most promising. I have downloaded the article and will try it today.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card