Replies

Port numbers

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi All,

While reviewing the IANA port number assignment:

http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers

I've noticed a weird phenomena, FTP for example as we all know uses TCP ports 20 and 21, in the document it is stated that it uses both TCP and UDP, most of the protocols have this symptom, is there any logical explanation for this ?

Thanks in advance,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

6 Replies 6

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It gives you an option to use either TCP or UDP if the application permits (not all BTW). Here is more detail on what is TCP and UDP, their advantages and disadvantages, etc.. http://www.laynetworks.com/Comparative%20analysis_TCP%20Vs%20UDP.htm

Hi Medan,

Thanks a lot, the aim of my question was when permitting or denying a certain protocol by denying its port number, will i have to deny both TCP and UDP.

Thanks in advance,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Well, Firewalls/ACL's have a default deny any any at the bottom of the rules. Even you don't put a rule to block them, it well be block. But some ports have to block on top or in the middle of the Firewall rules or ACL, you should deny their well known port and protocol unless otherwise advise.

The TCP/UDP is the programmers choice of protocol to be use by its program depends on its architecture and/or operations. Some put a configurable feature for the user to choose between TCP and UDP

Thanks Medan,

But my question is simply for example, for me to assure denying FTP do i have to deny both its TCP and UDP ports, and the same for every protocol that supports both TCP and UDP as stated by IANA ?

Thanks in advance,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Nope, no need to block both. Just block TCP will do. Same for other ports, just block their protocol - TCP or UDP, not TCP and UDP

Just want to add....

I don't know how many services are like DNS, but it uses both TCP and UDP on port 53, but for different functions. UDP for lookups, and TCP for zone transfers. FYI...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card