Views
Helpful
Replies

port on switch redundency

join_sn09
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

i had Cat.4506(IOS)is backup and Cat.4006(OS)is primary.so i would like to do on port switch redundency( i mean if connection primary down, it connect to backup line automatic.

Please see the attach file.

Please advice me on this case.

Best Regards,

Join

3 Replies 3

kerek
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Join,

This can be achieved using STP (spanning tree) which is automatically enabled on switches. This protocol ensures that there is no loop in a switched network, but also provides redundancy (assuming multiple links and loop). In your design you will have to tune the default settings to force the root bridge election to result the primary 4006 top become the root bridge.

If the interconnection links are trunk and your switches support pvst (per vlan spanning tree) then you have the options to load balance the traffic through the primary and backup links.

Hope it helps rate if does,

Krisztian

Dear Krisztian,

Thank you for your help.

Do you have some document for tell about this case?

Best Regards,

Norung

Hi,

You can also set up a port-channel. That way you can take advantage of using both interfaces at the same time, if one of the interfaces goes down the port-channel won't stop working and the network will be stable.

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card