Views
Helpful
Replies

Powering Off the Cisco ASR 1000 Series Router Safely

V_V
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can anyone confirm that the following link/procedure is valid for ASR1004 chassis (STEP4) and not just ASR1013 ?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/asr1000/install/guide/asr1routers/asr1pwrup.html#wp1087998

Ta,

VV

6 Replies 6

V_V
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone ?

Save the config and power off the router using the "power" switch at the back. 

Thanks for the reply Leolaohoo.

According to Cisco

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/asr1000/install/guide/asr1routers/asr1pwrup.html#wp1087998

---

If you are going to power cycle a Cisco ASR 1013  Router, we recommend that you first perform a graceful reload on the  router. Power cycling the router without first performing a graceful  reload might cause a loss of data stored in the NVRAM. In other words,  the configuration file might be lost.

---

Step 4 After confirming the reload command, wait until the system bootstrap message displays before powering off the system.

So is this procedure just for ASR 1013 or is applicable to all ASR family routers ?

I have ASR 1002 and we just save the config and power down.  We've been powering down/up the ASR four times a year.  I have yet to see any failures caused by this.  I also have a 2 Gb USB stick which contains the IOS and the config.   If anything goes wrong, I stick the USB stick into the port.

Again, I have never used the USB stick because of failure.

Hi All,

we are using this procedure to shut down all our ASR routers ( we have many ASR1006 and 1004 routers ) More than 15 , and we are using this procedure for more than 1 year

Step 4 After confirming the reload command, wait until the system bootstrap message displays before powering off the system.

System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(33r)XN2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Technical Support: tap://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 2008 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Current image running: Boot ROM0

Last reset cause: LocalSoft

ASR1000-RP1 platform with 4194303 Kbytes of main memory

mcp-6ru-1-rp0-rommon 1>

Thanks!!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card