Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PPPOE conncetions

Hi every  my name is gabriel and i am in just about to do ICDN1 . I have a question since i am still new to the Cisco world.

When you configure PPP on a cisco router and you want to change the authentication username and password..How do you do that without have to do the entire PPP connection all over again?

3 Replies 3

ghostinthenet
Level 7
Level 7

The answer depends on how the authentication needs to be set up. It will be more complicated if both ends of the connection need to authenticate each other. For a simple connection where your router is authenticating to a remote device, it's just a matter of changing the CHAP or PAP credentials on the dialer interface and resetting the session on the physical PPPoE interface.

rizwanr74
Level 7
Level 7

Hi northbridgesecure,

I assume you have a Dialer0 interface, go under the "Dealer0" interface, copy over your new pppoe username and password, as shown below.

interface Dialer0
 ppp chap hostname yourDSL-login-usernam@whatever.com
 ppp chap password yourDSL-Password

Thanks

Rizwan Rafeek

Similarly, if your provider uses PAP authentication:

interface Dialer0
 ppp pap sent-username yourDSL-login-usernam@whatever.com password yourDSL-Password

If you're unsure which your provider uses, put both the PAP and CHAP settings and your router will respond correctly to whichever the remote device requests.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card