cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PPPOE ISP - Multiple static IP addresses

cisco-cdn
Level 1
Level 1

We have a router who's ISP is PPPOE, we have 1 static IP address from the ISP already. We now need 2 static IP addresses, and the ISP has now provided them to us.

their Dialer interface is currently set with "ip address negotiated" and we get the original static IP address fine from the ISP.

My question is, to assign both static IP's to the Dialer interface, would i have to do "ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.255.0" and "ip address y.y.y.y 255.255.255.0 secondary".

Or is there a way to get multiple static IP's via pppoe using the ip address negotiated?

7 Replies 7

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Do you intend to use the addresses for accessing internal servers, VPN, or what else ?

For the new secondary static IP we plan on doing a 1-1 NAT to an internal IP.

For the current (primary) static IP, thats their main IP for some port forwards, and outbound NAT/PAT.

You do not need to associate the address to the interface.

Just use it directly in the nat static command.

hmmm I did try that earlier and that did not work. I will have to look into this further.

With the NAT, a loopback and the second static IP specified as secondary address on the Dialer interface it still would not work.

Traceroutes indicate the second static gets to a certain point at the ISP and gets no further. Its as if the ISP hasn't assigned this IP to me, gonna have to call them.

Its as if the ISP hasn't assigned this IP to me

Yes, otherwise would have been working as indicated above.

Possibly you need to flap the interface to trigger the assignment.

Hi Paolo,

Can you help, I am not familiar with PPPoE. I have a new PPPoE circuit and the ISP has provided a static IP address, can I configure this on the dialer interface or do I leave it as "ip address negotiated"? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card