Views
Helpful
Replies

Prefer BGP routes over EIGRP

aijaz802
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have two links from site A to Site B one link 2 MB is directly connected and other one is of 4 MB thru the service provider. I'm using EIGRP b/w Sites.

Using EBGP b/w router A-SP & SP-B for the service provider network. On router C I'm seeing the Router B network routes which are redistributed into EBGP. Everything is fine so far.

On site A Router A EIGRP topology contains two routes one learned thru EIGRP (Rtr B) n other one thru EIGRP-EBGP (Rtr C) and Router A injecting routes learned thru EIGRP internal) even though the BGP learned routes are having less metric, I think its due to external routes.

I want the Site A to use the path A-C-B, instead of A-D-B, irrespective of route type internal/external/etc....and backup path as A-D-B.

Any suggestions please. I have attached the sample image.

Regards,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

actually, w/ the setup I just gave you will need to use the bgp distance command, as rtr-a will still pref the WAN EIGRP AD of either 90 or 170 over the IBGP 200.

scott

View solution in original post

29 Replies 29

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I would change the metric with a route map on the redistributed routes between BGP and EIGRP on router C. There are other ways (PBR, filtered routes, etc) too.

Here's a link on route maps and EIGRP.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3t/12_3t8/feature/guide/gteigrpr.html

Hope that helps.

scottlivingston
Level 1
Level 1

Though there are many ways to skin this cat, (say in a home lab) I will offer feedback based off the assumption this is production environment.

Can you replace your EIGRP A-D-B w/ eBGP?...if so, that would make it very simple w/ a local pref manipulation back @ site-A after you config both rtr-a and rtr-c for IBGP.

If you can't get rid of the EIGRP over the WAN transit rtr-d then try this….. Smoke the EIGRP session BETWEEN rtr-c and rtr-a, but leave EIGRP on the both if needed (for over the WAN and on the backend LAN @ site-A). Redistribute your EIGRP routes from the WAN into BGP. Manipulate the local-pref between the BGP session for rtr-a and rtr-c and make it pref the path transit rtr-a.

If you can't get rid of the EIGRP between rtr-a and rtr-c you can use the BGP 'distance' command to manipulate the routes…. You need that IBGP AD=200 beat out that EIGRP 90 and 170 AD…. need to make it smaller than AD=90.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_1/iproute/command/reference/1rdbgp.html#wp1113874

Like I said, there are many ways to do this, but each has to be weighed against your needs and how you want things to converge. If you don't like either of these options I'll give you a floating static route design. :)

scott

actually, w/ the setup I just gave you will need to use the bgp distance command, as rtr-a will still pref the WAN EIGRP AD of either 90 or 170 over the IBGP 200.

scott

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies. As of now I have used the distance command and its working fine. Thanks for all the help..

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Aizaz,

You could summarize routes on router D towards router A and router B, so that specific routes via the SP cloud will always be preferred.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Harold,

that is a much better idea! good thinking! boy i'm getting rusty! :)

scott

Scott,

As you said so well, there is more than one way to skin a cat. The beauty of NetPro is that there is many posters with different ideas. The original poster can then evaluate all of these ideas and use the one that best suits his needs.

Thanks for your contribution to NetPro.

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Hi,

I have a similiar problem.

I have two links from site A to Site B one link 2 MB is directly connected and other one is of 4 MB thru the service provider. I'm using EIGRP b/w Sites.

Using BGP b/w router A-SP & SP-B for the service provider network.

On router C I'm seeing the Router B network routes which are redistributed via eigrp 100 into BGP.

On router E I'm seing Router D network routes, which are known via eigrp 100.

On Site A router A I only see routes from router E.

I want the Site A to use the path A-C-B, instead of A-E-D, irrespective of route type internal/external/etc....and backup path as A-E-D.

Please find image attached. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

You could simply summarize EIGRP routes from router E to router D and vice versa. This way the BGP routes will be more specific an therefore preferred over the EIGRP routes.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Thanks.

Is it possible to put more than one 'ip summary-address eigrp' statement on an interface?

Yes, it is certainly possible to enter many of these statements under the same interface.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Thanks. I will try this out, out of hours this weekend.

I will be summerising the below networks:

10.209.2.120 loopback

ip summary-address eigrp 100 10.208.0.0 255.240.0.0

Please let me know if this is correct.

Regards,

Irfaan

The summary statement, above, will be applied to Router E on Site A. The summary statement encompasses networks, which are in Site B i.e 10.220.1.0, 10.213.20.0, etc.

Would it be better to make the summarisation more specific or would it be ok to leave as is?

Could I have the summary statement below on router E & Router D?

ip summary-address eigrp 100 10.0.0.0 255.0.0.0

Sorry for all the questions!

Irfaan,

This should work just fine.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: