Views
Helpful
Replies

Prioritizing data traffic on router

suntecsbs
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

How can I prioritize the data traffic on a router?

I have this scenario. We are in process of deploying a media server for incremental backup on daily basis. So whenever this backup initiates, router should give highest priority to this traffic than anything else.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Vikram

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

How to prioritize depends on the QoS features offered by your router and the attributes of your traffic.

I have this scenario. We are in process of deploying a media server for incremental backup on daily basis. So whenever this backup initiates, router should give highest priority to this traffic than anything else.

Likely that shouldn't be too difficult to accomplish, but I would caution about giving highest priority to backup/replication traffic.

What I would suggest, if you're unfamiliar with QoS, if router's interfaces are using FIFO, change to fair queue.

Since I don't know what your router is, or what IOS it's running, unable to be precise, but the following will work on many Cisco ISRs.

policy-map Sample

class class-default

fair-queue

int x

service-policy output Sample

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

daniel.dib
Level 7
Level 7

Mark this traffic with a DSCP value and reserve bandwidth for it.

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149
CCDE #20160011

Please rate helpful posts.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

How to prioritize depends on the QoS features offered by your router and the attributes of your traffic.

Likely that shouldn't be too difficult to accomplish, but I would caution about giving highest priority to backup/replication traffic.

What I would suggest, if you're unfamiliar with QoS, if router's interfaces are using FIFO, change to fair queue.

Since I don't know what your router is, or what IOS it's running, unable to be precise, but the following will work on many Cisco ISRs.

policy-map Sample

class class-default

fair-queue

int x

service-policy output Sample

I have Cisco 2821 with 12.4 (3h).

Can you please elaborate why you are advising caution over hishest priority to backup/replication traffic? Answer must be something obvious but I am not clear.

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I have Cisco 2821 with 12.4 (3h).

Okay, pre-HQF QoS - the policy I showed will work on that.

Can you please elaborate why you are advising caution over hishest priority to backup/replication traffic? Answer must be something obvious but I am not clear.

Sure, any time you give priority to one kind of traffic, it's often at the expense of other traffic.  If the traffic is "bulk" or bandwidth greedy, it will usually take full advantage of priority to bandwidth.

If you're talking about like real-time video, that should have priority.

If you're talking about streaming video, that should have enough bandwidth for its average bandwidth, and sufficient buffering to avoid drops during bursts.

If you're talking about background replication, unless there's a time constraint, it often only works well with low priority.  If there is a timing constraint, i.e. the replication has to complete within a certain amount of time, often the streaming bandwidth approach is fine.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card