Views
Helpful
Replies

privilege level 2 on a router

smothuku
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Experts ,

small question regarding privilege level 2.

I've configured following thins for privilege level 2 for aome users to restrict access.

username admin privilege 2 password cisco

enable secret level 2 cisco

line vty 0 4

login local

privilege exec level 2 traceroute

privilege exec level 2 ping

After config. above commands on 3845 router i tried to login using privilege level 2 username and password.

Router is asking for username and password ..once i enter username and password i am getting priviled mode directly without prompting for enable password.

Am i missed anything.

what command can used for privilege level 2 enable secret.the router should ask for enable password for privilege level 2 users.

Thanks,

Satish

4 Replies 4

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Satish

This is the normal behavior of privilege command configurations and you will be getting onto the privilege prompt directly..

If you want to enter into enable mode/prompt then you need to key in enable and need to apply the password credentials..

Also under privilege mode 2 you will be allowed to execute few commands not all the commands available with privilege level 15...

regds

Hi Kumar ,

When I tried to configure the enable password for privilege level 2 i am getting below messages.

RTR A(config)#enable password level 2 cisco

% Converting to a secret. Please use "enable secret" in the future.

What should i configure on RTR A for enable password prompt for privilege level 2 users.

I know that privileges level 2 users have few privilege whereas level 15 users have full privileges....

For privilege level 2 users, router should prompt for enable and enable secret passords.

Thanks,

Satish

Hi Satish

do you want to configure separate enable password for the privilege level 2 profile ?

Normally the enable password/secret defined globally can be used as a unique key for getting into enable mode...

So if you have configured enable secret or password already you can make use of the same to get on to enable mode from privilege level 2...

regds

Hi Kumar ,

thanks for your prompt reply...

Yes , i would like to configure user level password and enable secret passwords seperatly for privilege 2 users.

what i want is for privilege level 2 users ...

RTA :

username :

password :

RTA > enable

RTA # "password"

Thanks,

Satish

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: