Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem upgrading C2960 IOS via TFTP

Abdullah Net
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I got my new C2960 a couple of days ago with an outdated IOS version (12.2) and i wanted to test the new IOS (15).

I know i can delete the current IOS version and download the new one from tftp server but i just want to test the new IOS without deleting anything yet. Once i like it, i will put it in the flash.

So, i created a tftp server, tested it,  and it worked fine. I even copied the running-config file from the flash to my computer using tftp server with no problems. So, tftp server and its connection are working fine. 

Now, i tried

Switch(config)#boot system tftp://192.168.4.17/c2960-lanbasek9-mz.150-2.SE4.bin

This command should boot the switch using the IOS in the tftp server which resides in my computer (192.168.40.17) the next time i reload the switch. I saved my config and i rebooted the router.

This is what i got when reloading...

Loading "tftp://192.168.4.17/c2960-lanbasek9-mz.150-2.SE4.bin"...tftp://192.168.4.17/c2960-lanbasek9-mz.150-2.SE4.bin: no such device

Error loading "tftp://192.168.4.17/c2960-lanbasek9-mz.150-2.SE4.bin"

When i think of it, how can the switch access my computer's ip address during booting process? In booting process all the ports are showndown for failure testing purposes.

Am i using the wrong command to achieve what i want?

Thanks,

Abdul,

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

TFTP boot don't work all the time.

Don't even bother trying to do this.

View solution in original post

Well consider this ... If your switch is in ROMmon, HOW can the switch knows where the TFTP server is.

Next, if you are able to get into ROMmon, then you should be able to upload the IOS via Xmodem.

Hence, TFTP boot is not very popular. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

TFTP boot don't work all the time.

Don't even bother trying to do this.

Leo,

Then why cisco have it there if it is not meant to work? why did they even bother? :/

abdul,

Well consider this ... If your switch is in ROMmon, HOW can the switch knows where the TFTP server is.

Next, if you are able to get into ROMmon, then you should be able to upload the IOS via Xmodem.

Hence, TFTP boot is not very popular. 

hmmm interesting...

Thanks Leo

Abdul,

Thanks for the ratings.

No problem

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card