Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with 802.11g cards

beckerola
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I'm finding a probem with laptops with 802.11g cads integrated.

The scenario is that we have several 802.11b AP's and one 802.11g AP. All of them are 1100 and 1200.

The problem is that laptops with a 802.11g card makes wrong decisions to connect when they have a b and g AP disposible. The problem is that the card makes the connection always to the g AP even if theres a weaker sign and should be better to connect to the b AP.

What could casue this strange behavior? I think is more a card problem han a AP issue but i'm not sure since it's the first time i see something like this.

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

I've been reading some documents and in other forums and it look like a 802.11g client always chooses a g AP over a b AP if they are in the same environment.

We have found that this happens only when both AP with different protocols live in the same area. Going with our g client to a 802.11b environment works fine since the g card connects perfectly (with the bandwidth limitation of course)

I think this is not a problem but the normal way to behave in this circumnstance.

desai.jaideep
Level 5
Level 5

Hi

Till my knowledge, the signal strenght is not the criteria for a client to select b or g.They rely on the bandwidth available on the signal.In general, even at low signal strength (say 40%), the g card will show a bandwidth of greater then 11Mbps, which is always prefered over b signals( say 60% or more) which are offering an bandwidth of 11Mbps.

Pls take a note that the bandwidth is always theoritical, the actual throughput will vary greatly.

Which is I believe happening in your case.

Pls rate helpful posts.

Regards

JD

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: