Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with Cisco 3825 router

net buzz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

I am having problems with a Cisco 3825 router.

The router is powering on but is not able to boot up properly and load the IOS.

Pressing Ctrl + Break to interrupt the normal boot up process is also not working.

The router continues to display the same boot up messages repeatedly.

The CF LED indicator (Compat Flash) is also not lightning up.

Please see the attached document.

Thanks,

Alvin

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Alvin

This shows good troubleshooting

Thanks for posting to the forum and telling us how you solved the problem. It is helpful to the forum when we can see description of problems that include successful solutions to the problem.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Could be a faulty Compact Flash, once on rommon, are you able to see the file system with a 'dir' command?

Dear Edison,

I am not able to access the rommon mode. Ctrl+Break is not responding and the router is not defaulting to rommon mode.

The router continuously loads the system bootstrap as per the attached error document.

Will a new external Compact Flash solve the issue?

Regards,

Alvin

Alvin

Ctrl+Break could be tricky if not entered at the proper time while the router is booting up. I recommend you send the command using your Console application (such as Putty, SecureCRT, etc) which I am sure you are using.

If you have another 3825 or similar model, you can switch flash cards and see if that'st the problem. Be careful if you are doing this with a production router since your configuration may get corrupted. Make sure that the flash led is not lit which means that the flash is not being used before removing it.

Regards,

Rafael

If you can't see ROMmon, eject the CF and reboot the router.  If you STILL can't see the ROMmon then contact Cisco TAC and get the router replaced.

Dear all,

Actually the problem was not a faulty Compact Flash memory card.

The router was having issues due to its DRAM module.

The DRAM module was moved to the secong DIMM slot and the router booted up successfully.

Regards,

Alvin

Alvin

This shows good troubleshooting

Thanks for posting to the forum and telling us how you solved the problem. It is helpful to the forum when we can see description of problems that include successful solutions to the problem.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card