Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

Problem with DMVPN redundant tunneling topology

Hi, guys! I'm experiencing problems with NHRP in redundunt DMVPN topology. I'll try to describe the issue:

We have three routers: 1 hub and 2 spokes

Hub have two links to different ISPs, spokes have one link. I created two tunnel interfaces on hub and tied them sequently to interfaces refered to ISP1 and ISP2. The same interfaces were created on spokes. On each of tunnel interface I configured MGRE and NHRP with (I think this is correct ) different tunnel keys and nhrp network ids. Also on hub router I configured IP SLA and tracking between sought interfaces. So I have two DMVPN networks on primary tunnel interface and on redandant. But when I shutdown primary interface, after tracking choosing the redandant route, ip nhrp table becoms empty, and I can't ping any spoke tunnel interface, phisical ip interfaces are reacheble, but tunnel interfaces are not. So the scheme with IP SLA tracking between to DMVPN networks does not work.

I've tried to find the description of this siuation in SRND or CCNP Security guides, but found schems using two hub routers - not one. I need

fault-tolerant DMVPN spoke-to-spoke scheme (on two ISP) on ONE router. So what am I doing wrong, or is it possiple to reach using IP SLA principally or not?

Config of hub and spoke routers in attache.

2 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Problem with DMVPN redundant tunneling topology

I am not authoritative on this but I believe that it does not work to have two tunnels from a spoke router to the same hub router. It works fine for a spoke router to have two tunnels to two hubs for redundancy. And it works fine for a hub to have two tunnel interfaces if you want to spread load between interfaces. But I think that it does not work for the same hub to have two tunnels to the same spoke. I believe that the issue is that the spoke establishes a neighbor relationship with the hub on one tunnel just fine. But when it attempts to negotiate the neighbor relationship on the second tunnel it discovers that it already has a neighbor relationship and it does not come up on the second tunnel. If you want redundancy I believe that you need two hub routers.

HTH

Rick

Re: Problem with DMVPN redundant tunneling topology

Hello,Timofey.

I used to configure redundant tunnels (in simular casese) using VRFs.

You could put one ISP into single VRF. This will allow both tunnels to run simultaneously, but won't allow you to use this second ISP for NAT (end-user access).

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content