cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with NM-2E2W on 2600 Router

barryc
Level 1
Level 1

We have a 2600 router into which we've installed an NM-2E2W module. The Act light is green, and if a connected cable is plugged in link status is also green, so the card is at least connecting, but the router is not recognizing the card so it can be configured.

We're running IOS Version 12.3(15a) though from what I could decipher from the documentation it shouldn't matter which IOS verion we're using.

I'm looking for any suggestion on how to get the router to recognize the card, and what I might be doing wrong.

4 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

desai.jaideep
Level 5
Level 5

Hi

The card is not supported as posted by my another friend.

Ifyou are in need of one extra ethernet...then you need to go for NM-1ENET.

Regards

JD

View solution in original post

The are routed ports so by default they must be on different subnets. You can bridge if you need.

Hi,

Sure it will, but different subnets.

Pls rate the posts if they had helped.

Regards

JD

9 Replies 9

desai.jaideep
Level 5
Level 5

Hi

The card is not supported as posted by my another friend.

Ifyou are in need of one extra ethernet...then you need to go for NM-1ENET.

Regards

JD

Thanks for the pointer JD, but what if we need two extra ethernet ports? Can we use 2 NM-1ENET cards? One in each of the WIC ports?

As you know it's not easy to decipher the Cisco docs on this.

A little mix up with the part numbers there.

WIC-1ENET is not supported on the 2600. This card can physically fit into the WIC slots.

NM-1E and NM-4E are supported on the 2600. You can only install one of the card. So if you need more than 1 extra ethernet port, go for the NM-4E module.

Thanks, I'd come to the same conclusion.

One more question that's not apparent from the documentation. If we use the NM-4e can we configure subnets for each of the four ports?

The are routed ports so by default they must be on different subnets. You can bridge if you need.

Hi,

Sure it will, but different subnets.

Pls rate the posts if they had helped.

Regards

JD

NM module will not fit a wic slot and they do not make wic cards for a 2600 that run ethenet.

You can run a nm-4e. The 2600's won't run modules that combine ethenet and additinal wic slots.

>>You can run a nm-4e. The 2600's won't run modules that combine ethenet and additinal wic slots.

Just to clarify. if you plug in an NM-1E-2W or NM-4E-2W into a 2621. what whill happen?

1) the ethernet port(s) in the module will work, but any WIC cards you plug inot the module will not work?

2) the ethernet port(s) will not work at all, or the module wil just fail to be recognized?

in the second-hand market, a NM-4E-2W is a lot cheaper than an NM-4E. not sure exactly why, but that's what I'm finding.

Thanks

B

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card