cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

problems with setting first username and password

hawaiiangods
Level 1
Level 1

I haven't used a cisco router in over 12 years, so I'm a bit rusty.  I had to replace a nortel box for a small charter school here in Hawaii, so I decided to go with a cisco 1941 / K9 router. using a usb terminal connection I started up the router as directed in the PDF documentation for this box.  It warned me that I must change the starting username and password (<cisco> and <cisco> respectively) with my own username and password.  I wanted to change this to <cisco1> and a simple password.  I thought I followed the directions, but I failed to reset the user name and password.  As I was looking up online for help on how to set a new username and password, the terminal window timed-out and now I can't log in to the 1941 router at all.

How do I reset the router?  Once I do how do I correctly setup  username and password after I login once with cisco and cisco?

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm attaching a screen capture of the terminal window...

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
How do I reset the router? 
  1. Power OFF the router.
  2. If you look at the back (where the power button is) and to the lower left-hand corner, you'll observe two CF slots.  Pop the cover open and eject the CF. 
  3. Power up the router.  
  4. Observe the console terminal and when you see "rommon1>" enter the command "confreg 2142".  
  5. After the command has been accepted, insert the CF back and reboot the router.  
  6. Your router should boot into factory default (Username & Password are "cisco") but the config-registry value is still 2102.  
  7. Do the following:
  • ​conf t
  • config-registry 0x2102
  • username BLAH password BLAH
  • end
  • wr

Aloha from Hawaii,

Thank you for the quick response.  I'm setting up a new campus, so it took me a while to get back to my 1941/K9 problem.  I followed the directions that you prescribed, but I ran into something different when I rebooted the router (after your step 5).  Instead of getting a prompt where I could type in:

conf t

config-registry 0x2102

etc.

I got the following:

Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes/no]:

If I answer no, I get a router> prompt that will not accept the conf t

If I answer yes and proceed with the setup, I'm prompted to enter the initial configuration dialog every time I telnet in...

Any advice you can offer?

Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes/no]:

Sorry for the late response, I was down-and-out with flu.

So, when you are greeted with this message, enter the option "no" and you'll be be in factory default where the prompt is going to be "Router>".  Go into enable mode using the command "enable" (the prompt will now be "Router#" and then continue with Step 7 above.   

hawaiiangods
Level 1
Level 1

Thank for your help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card