Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

problems with static default next hop

I have an 891 router and I am configuring a static default pointing out one of the WAN links.  The problem is, specifying a next hop of the wan interface (Fa8 in this case) does not work.  However, specifying a next hop of DHCP works perfectly.

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 fastethernet8  (no work)

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 dhcp  (works)

Why would this be?

Thanks,

-J

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: problems with static default next hop

I think the reason for the default route statement with a physical interface not working is that the upstream router is not sending any proxy-arp for the ip addresses you are requesting arp for.

In simple words, If you set up a default route to physical interface and you are trying to reach 4.2.2.2 , your router will look into its routing table and will not find any route for it other than a default route pointing to Fethernet 8, so it will think that 4.2.2.2 is directly connected to it from that interface and will try ARP for 4.2.2.2 , having not recieve anything than from the upstream router ( which is not sending any proxy-arp ) it will just drop it as it will not be able to make a frame for that address 4.2.2.2.

hope i am making any sense here

Manish

9 REPLIES

Your configuration guide is here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/docs/routers/access/800/860-880-890/software/configuration/guide/routconf.html#wp1148394

The guide says:

ip route prefix mask {ip-address | interface-type interface-number [ip-address]}

Try doing:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 fastethernet 8

That should work.

Cheers, rate if this helps!

Tim

Yep Yep... that's exactly what I did.  It doesn't work if you specify a next hop of a physical interface. It takes the command, shows the command in the config, but won't route.

-J

And FA8 is set as a non-switchport, right?

sure is... it's one of the two wan ports on the router.  The 891 has two WAN interfaces.  Fa8 and Gig0.

-J

By next hop of physical interface , you mean the exit interface of the router right ?

manish

Yes, that is correct, Fa8 is the exit interface on the router.  The 891 has switchports Fa0-7 and wan interfaces fast 8 and gig 0.

-J

I think the reason for the default route statement with a physical interface not working is that the upstream router is not sending any proxy-arp for the ip addresses you are requesting arp for.

In simple words, If you set up a default route to physical interface and you are trying to reach 4.2.2.2 , your router will look into its routing table and will not find any route for it other than a default route pointing to Fethernet 8, so it will think that 4.2.2.2 is directly connected to it from that interface and will try ARP for 4.2.2.2 , having not recieve anything than from the upstream router ( which is not sending any proxy-arp ) it will just drop it as it will not be able to make a frame for that address 4.2.2.2.

hope i am making any sense here

Manish

ahhhh... you may be correct here.  There is a no proxy-arp set on the dhcp gateway address. I will need to test this tomorrow am (as it's a production net)  thanks for the tip, I'll let you know how it works.

-J

yep, that was the problem.  Removing proxy-arp solved it.

-J

Views
Helpful
Replies