Views
Helpful
Replies

Processor type and forwarding performance

kaziijaz.rashid
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I would like to know the processor type and forwardign performance of Cisco 3845 IAS router.

5 Replies 5

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Hi Friend,

Cisco 3845 has 500,000 PPS fast switching capacity and a throughput of 256 Mbps.

The processor type info I am unable to find out for you.

HTH,

-amit singh

Can I ask how you've confirmed the max throughput is 256mb?. I can't find any reference on CCO to clarify this. In otherwords, what performance should I expect in/out the gigabit ports for straight routed traffic.

Hi,

In the Q&A it says "performance of 350-500 Kpps in light service environments with 64 byte packets".

500Kpps x 64bytes = 256Mbps

Whether you'd get this in practice is another matter - see the Miercom report:

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/products/ps5856/c1244/cdccont_0900aecd8058608c.pdf

HTH

Andrew.

So at 1500byte packets, we could expect the full 1gb through the LAN interface? It's just that I can't find this confirmed anywhere, other than assuming it would perform at full rate in those cases. I know thats not general real life traffic, but I'm thinking of network archoves etc. Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: