cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Protocol routing over second link

tahequivoice
Level 2
Level 2

Is it possible to route http traffic over a DSL connection while all other traffic routes over a T1? I have a customer who is asking that all their users web traffic route over the DSL line instead of the T1, but all other traffic must go over the T1. I looked for examples of port based route maps, but came up blank. I remember something years back when the blaster came about where I was able to dump all netbios to a null interface, but cant remember how I did it.

5 Replies 5

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

A not-so-elegant way (IMO) would be to use policy based routing using the precedence on HTTP traffic (which you would have to change with QoS/NBAR).

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6599/products_white_paper09186a00800a4409.shtml#wp14040

Well thats a start showing it can be done, but again, no basic examples of what to do. More importantly has anyone successfully done it?

Well thats a start showing it can be done, but again, no basic examples of what to do. More importantly has anyone successfully done it?

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Here is a sample config

interface fx/x

description incoming interface

ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

ip policy route-map HTTP

ip access-list extended HTTP

permit tcp any any eq 80

permit tcp any any eq 443

route-map HTTP permit 10

match ip address name HTTP

set ip next-hop [dsl_gateway]

route-map HTTP permit 20

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 [T1_Gateway]

_________

Packets not matching the destination Port 80 and 443 (HTTPS) will use the normal IP route.

The problem you may face is the NAT.

Can you post a portion of your config that we can work from?

HTH,

__

Edison.

Excellent, this was the part I was missing that I couldn't locate.

route-map HTTP permit 10

match ip address name HTTP

set ip next-hop [dsl_gateway

Thanks, I will give it a try and hopefully will work. The DSL modem/router should already be setup for NAT, so that shouldn't affect it, but I wont know until I dig into the router and see how they currently have the DSL setup. We normally use DSL/Cable for backup purposes only using a GRE tunnel with EIGRP runnign over that. If they arent setup that way, then this should work OK, if they are, then this will not work since the router/modem will be bridged and will cause havoc if I enable NAT.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card