cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Pseudo-random number

gdelarosa
Level 1
Level 1

The following message has been appearing on the log one router that have connected 2 E1’s to Internet:

*May 14 13:01:21.242: %UTIL-6-RANDOM: A pseudo-random number was generated twice in succession

*May 14 20:06:10.180: %UTIL-6-RANDOM: A pseudo-random number was generated twice in succession

*May 15 06:52:48.720: %UTIL-6-RANDOM: A pseudo-random number was generated twice in succession

*May 16 02:47:31.576: %UTIL-6-RANDOM: A pseudo-random number was generated twice in succession

I research on Cisco web page, and I already reload the router but the messages continue appearing. Should this log be something to worry about? Should I change the IOS?

2 Replies 2

wong34539
Level 6
Level 6

I think it is just a cosmetic message and it doesn't affect performance of your router

dgahm
Level 8
Level 8

The error message decoder is not particularly helpful.

1. %UTIL-6-RANDOM: A pseudo-random number was generated twice in succession

A pseudorandom number generator has produced the same number twice in succession.

Recommended Action: Under normal circumstances, a pseudorandom number generator will occasionally produce the same number twice in succession, and this is not a problem. If this message occurs frequently, reload the system. If this message recurs, copy the error message exactly as it appears, contact your Cisco technical support representative, and provide the representative with the gathered information.

What IOS code are you running? Did this just start or has it always happened? A code upgrade might be in order if you are not current.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card