cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PT exercise

jbonpland
Level 1
Level 1

Hey, i'm taking CCNA I and i came up with this exercise, but i got one tiny problem:

If you take a look at the topology i can ping from the hosts to the gateways, serials, etc. It gets tricky when I try to ping to Fa 0/0 on R1-ISP (from Host or R2-Central)and also, it does ping to S0/0/0 on R1-ISP.

Anyway, i cannot get the server due to this problem.....

Any help???

Julian

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Julian, what you have  to do is to think logically. example:

IP routing works hop by hop.

On which hop the problem occours first ?

Once you have identified where, you can look into why.

Then correct the mistake.

This procedure works for every and any situation in networking.

View solution in original post

Hi Julian,

Without giving you the correct answer right away (you've got a very simple mistake in your configuration and you absolutely have to find it yourself), you have yourself stated that you have a reachability problem in your network. The first course of action would be to first verify whether the routers can ping themselves on directly connected networks. The second step should be to verify whether all routers know about all networks in your topology. If that is correct, use the traceroute utility to find out where the packets start to get lost. I am sure that you will find the correct solution quite quickly.

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Don;t get offended, but have you considered that the whole point of becoming a network engineer is to able to solve problems by yourself rather than relying on others ?

Try to understand, that 's not very attracting for others to go to through process of downloading and unzipping your file, to guess a configuration error only based on your skinny description.

Moreover when the problem can be in the server lacking correct default routing information.

marikakis
Level 7
Level 7

Paolo, this is not the linux kernel developers mailing list or something, right? To me it is a very simple thing not to respond to an author if for any reason I see fit someone should not be getting help from me. Also, if we rely on experienced people to post questions, then the forum will simply vanish. How many discussions have you and other regulars started? Besides, this way, there won't be any points, stars, leaderboards, Hall of Fame, VIP, etc. In addition, such comments are the root cause of the trolls you complain about and if you get a 1-rating now from anyone I won't be fixing it.

Sorry but I have to disagree with you Maria.

To me, it is a poorly posed question in which the OP has not applied due diligence and just want someone to pull his fish out the frying pan.

If you are willing to go dig in his the config files as "tutoring encouragement", you're welcome to do that and you will deserve whatever credit applies to the case.

jbonpland
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guys dont be so mean. I've been dealing with this exercise for the past 3 days. I've done everything right (i think), but I cannot solve the problem. If u want you don't have to give me the answer. You can give me a hint.

Julian, what you have  to do is to think logically. example:

IP routing works hop by hop.

On which hop the problem occours first ?

Once you have identified where, you can look into why.

Then correct the mistake.

This procedure works for every and any situation in networking.

Hi Julian,

Without giving you the correct answer right away (you've got a very simple mistake in your configuration and you absolutely have to find it yourself), you have yourself stated that you have a reachability problem in your network. The first course of action would be to first verify whether the routers can ping themselves on directly connected networks. The second step should be to verify whether all routers know about all networks in your topology. If that is correct, use the traceroute utility to find out where the packets start to get lost. I am sure that you will find the correct solution quite quickly.

Best regards,

Peter

Hey, I found the problem. I changed the IP route on R2-Central and worked perfectly fine.

Thank u very much!

Hi Julian,

Correct Your routing table on R2-Central was missing the network in which the TFTP server was located. A single command adding the correct static route solved the entire issue.

Keep on doing the good work.

Best regards,

Peter

Very good.

Again, the reason why Peter and I did not gave you the solution, is because what really matters is that you learn the method of analytical thinking.

Technology may change, but method never does, and that is engineer's stronger asset.

Thanks for the nice rating and good luck!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card