Views
Helpful
Replies

QOS - bandwidth limitation with switched VLAN

JATINDER KUMAR
Level 1
Level 1

Dear friends ..

first of all sory .. m opening this again .. as i thought i got my answer in my previous discussion but it didnt worked for me .and i already closed that by marking answer..

my scenario is ... i have 1841 router on which i am having premium WAN link with public IPs .. i want to dedicate around 128 kbps to one of the client whom i have to give public ip ... this client is having his own RACK and network.. and from his network one cable is coming to my switch which i configured as a VLAN port... now a machine from client network is able to ping router and after doing NAT also able to ping public IP... 4.2.2.2 and when i am trying to access speedtest.net it is showing my public ip ... but in most of the cases my connection gets disconnected.. dont know why...

one more things.. i am having two lan interfaces on 1841 ... one is for our network and one for client network with a single default route..

dont know if single default route works fine and takes the traffic from both lan to send out of WAN interface.

not i want to restrict this client network only to use 128kbps... his network is configured as virtual interface fe0/0.1 from client machine i am able to ping router and wan also. but how to retrict his bandwidth.

one more thing i always want to give him 128 from total bandwidth ... means from my total bandwidth no one else should use this bandwidth.

Please advice...

this was the previous post :

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3501179#3501179

Sorry again

Thansk for the time and help

3 Replies 3

Juan Perez
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Jatinder,

Why don't you use CBWFQ, this will guarantee a minimum BW of 128 kbps but it can get more if there is available (unused) BW, following previous post (not sure what interfaces you have or what IP addresses you have, but I would recommend applying service policy under WAN interface, "outgoing" direction):

Access-list 100 permit ip 10.1.1.0 0.0.0.255 any

Class-map client1

Match access-group 100

Policy-map p1

Class client1

bandwidth 128000

You can add another acl and class map like the above per subnet

Int x/x

service-policy out p1

Static/default route will work for both VLANs.

Regards.

thanks Juan for the Reply ..

if you see mmy reply above .. the link which is there.. shows the exact configuration which you are suggesting .. cuple of things i noticed..

1. this only worked for one side of traffic.. i put both the direction still

2. i dont want it to go beyond 128 .. means i am promissing my client a CIR of 128 but it should not go beyound 128 also

i read one command which was on interface which is rate-limit any idea about the same...?

the above example is not working please advise

Hi Jatinder,

CAR (rate-limit) will work similar to MQC police, it will allow you to rate traffic based on ACLs both in and out direction, here are some useful links:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_0/qos/configuration/guide/qccar.html

Check "Rate Limiting by Access List Example".

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk543/tk545/technologies_tech_note09186a00800d7276.shtml

Regards.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card