cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS Configuration - b/w command not working?

ospfrouter
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

I have a problem when configuring a simple QoS scenario.

I have 2 routers, both 2901's running IOS15.1(4)M1.

As the starting point for a larger QoS config I need to configure the network as shown in the attached schematic to prioritse traffic, in times of congestion, from PC 10.0.0.2 to PC 20.0.0.2.

The 'WAN' link between each routers gi0/1 interface is 100Mbps.

I can run a 'bandwidth test' between PC 10.0.0.3 and 20.0.0.3 and this consumes 97.7Mbps (ie 100% WAN bandwdith).

I can then run an 'iperf' TCP throughput test between PC 10.0.0.2 and 20.0.0.2 and this yields a throughput of 94Mbps, again consuming all the available bandwidth - once IP and Ethernet overheads are considered.

When however I run the 'iperf' test in conjunction with the 'bandwdith test' my Iperf is reduced to 1.7Mbps while the bandwidth test reduces to 96Mbps.

So i want to develop a QoS config that asigns 75% of available bandwdith to the iperf test in times of congestion.

So on router A I have configured :-

access-list 160 permit ip host 10.0.0.2 host 20.0.0.2

class-map match-all iperf

match access-group 160

policy-map iperf_policy

class iperf

bandwdith percent 75

interface gi0/1

service-policy output iperf_policy

But the above appears to have no effect - the iperf test still yields a throughput of 1.7Mbps while the bandwidth test is running.

To verify that my access-list and to some extent that other QoS tools are working I can successfully use the 'police' and 'shape' commands to restict traffic. But the 'bandwidth' and 'priority' commands both do not appear to have any effect.

Perhaps this problem centres around iperf being a TCP throughput test - I'm not sure?

Please can anyone offer any ideas ?

Regards

TP

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Perhaps this problem centres around iperf being a TCP throughput test - I'm not sure?

Yes, that's likely the cause.

b/w command doesn't guarantee bandwidth, it just adjusts flow's weight.

Try two flows, of the same kind, between the two classes and see if you obtain the bandwidth split that's configured.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Yes, that's likely the cause.

b/w command doesn't guarantee bandwidth, it just adjusts flow's weight.

Try two flows, of the same kind, between the two classes and see if you obtain the bandwidth split that's configured.

ospfrouter
Level 1
Level 1

Many thanks Joseph for your prompt reply - very helpful.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card