Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS doesn't work for capping speed

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

All,

This morning I created an acl that included my local subnet: 10.20.1.0/24. I created a class-map to match this access list, and then I created a policy that referenced this class-map.

class-map match-all RESTRICTED

match access-group 20

policy-map SPEED

class RESTRICTED

shape average 8000

Standard IP access list 20

10 permit 10.20.1.0, wildcard bits 0.0.0.255 (127 matches)

This was applied outbound on the public interface. I started to download a large file, and my speeds were very high. I then went back into the policy and added a class-default with the same values. The policy map started shaping the traffic back.

Shouldn't I be able to scale back according to an acl, and if so, why did this not take effect unless it was under class default? The acl was applied to the class-map, so I'm not sure why it wasn't matching on that.

Thanks,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
16 Replies 16

Jon,

I did try output with the acl matching my public IP, and I don't think this worked. The acl was like:

permit ip host 99.x.x.x.x any

I can't tell you if I changed this around, but I think I did.

I'm having a hard time figuring out where to put the policy though. When do you put the policy on the public interface, and when do you apply it to the private side??

Thanks Jon!

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

John

Depends on what you are trying to achieve. You generally shape/police as you go from a faster to a lower speed medium. An example that i have used is where we have connected to a Service providers MPLS network and they have provisioned a 100Mb connection to us but we only need 30Mb so we shape on the interface that connects to their PE device.

Jon

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card