cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS not available on 871 w/advsecurity image, same for 2800s?

kharris
Level 1
Level 1

I have an 871W ISR Router with the default advanced security image (c871-advsecuirtyk9-mz.124-9.T.bin...as apposed to one step up with the Advanced IP Services image. (which requires 4MB more of flash on the 871 to run).

The SDM on the 871 reports QoS is not supported (along with IPS and a couple of other features).

I may be looking into some 2801s or 2811s for a future purchase...will the same limitation apply regarding QoS? It makes a difference on initial purchase price with the various bundles, and I will be needing QoS for those.

Am I by chance mistaken on the 871? Or does this only apply to the 800 series bundles.

I cannot find a specific reference to QoS being, or not being supported depending on the IOS package with the 1800s or 2800 ISRs. I was under the impression both advanced security and advanced IP services both allowed QoS.

Please advise.

Thanks

6 Replies 6

Amphitryon
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, I would like to know this as well...moreover, why does the product page indicate that the 871 DOES support QoS features???

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/products_data_sheet0900aecd8028a976.html

That bummed me out a bit...

-Eric

Eric,

In follow up to my own question and yours, I looked at your link (which I've been over before).

Now part of my misunderstanding is probably due to the fact I am fairly new to QoS...so I don't fully understand the minor difference in some of the commands. That said:

The link does differintiate QoS support based on the security image (advanced security vs. advanced IP services).

Per the documentation page, advanced security supports QoS in the following:

-------------------------------

Weighted Fair Queuing (WFQ)

? Class-Based WFQ (CBWFQ)

? Low-Latency Queuing (LLQ)

? Class-Based Traffic Shaping (CBTS) (Cisco 871 only)

? Class-Based Traffic Policing (CBTP) (Cisco 876, 877, and 878 only)

? Class-Based QoS MIB

? Prefragment before encryption

? TX ring adjustment

? VC bundling

? Policy-based routing (PBR)

? Per-VC queuing

? Per-VC traffic shaping

------------------------------------

Advanced IP supports:

------------------------

? Priority and custom queuing

? Class-Based Weighted Random Early Detection (CBWRED)

? Network-Based Application Recognition (NBAR)

? Link Fragmentation and Interleaving (LFI)

? Resource Reservation Protocol (RSVP)

? RTP Header compression (Real Time Protocol)

? Differentiated Services (DiffServ)

? QoS Preclassify & Pre-fragmentation

? Class-Based Marking (CBM)

----------------------------------------------

It seems QoS support and "full" QoS support have some distinction differences. The SDM obviously is looking for the advanced IP image.

If someone may help in the differences, please post. I'm guessing some features are supported in CLI, but the SDM wants Adv. IP before working?

This just affirms my annoyance at prodcut brochures...but I do know from experience that "support" must always be read as "depenging on image or license".

I simply wish there was a way to order the wireless version of the 871 with Advanced IP. Otherwise, you have to order the addition flash and install it before updgrading.

In answer to the other part of my own question, the price difference in some of the 2800 bundles looks lie it's due to the addition of some AIMs being added. A flash upgrade is alwasy possible assuming correct flash and DRAM installed. (Funny...why are PIX/ASA features tied so tightly to licensing where IOS is basically limited to sufficient amounts of installed memory w/out licensing? I guess both get your $$$ either way!)

Kyle

ilya.varlashkin
Level 3
Level 3

It could be either SDM for this router doesn't have support to enable QoS or you're trying to apply QoS to IPSEC easy-vpn connection. Otherwise advsecurity feature set should be fine.

I'm assuming the SDM would support the greyed-out features if the image was Advanced IP. It reports the current image does not support the feature. (Someone with Adv IP may verify it through SDM?)

My main conern was over the feature being supported in the image more than if it could be configured through SDM.

Not trying to do QoS over IPSEC to answer your post. Thanks for the input.

johnnylingo
Level 5
Level 5

Actually you can run 12.4T Advanced IP Services just fine with the base 24 MB flash, provided you'll willing to delete some of the SDM modules.

I whiped the flash clean of SDM, then re-installed SDM using a custom install. When the Secure Desktop and WebVPN was unchecked, here is what I was left with:

C871W#dir flash:

Directory of flash:/

2 -rwx 15954804 Aug 9 2006 19:25:02 -07:00 c870-advipservicesk9-mz.124-6.T3.bin

3 -rwx 1038 Jul 30 2006 16:21:35 -07:00 home.shtml

4 -rwx 2254 Jul 30 2006 16:21:35 -07:00 sdmconfig-8xx.cfg

5 -rwx 102400 Jul 30 2006 16:21:40 -07:00 home.tar

6 -rwx 833024 Jul 30 2006 16:22:16 -07:00 es.tar

7 -rwx 1052160 Jul 30 2006 16:23:04 -07:00 common.tar

8 -rwx 1959936 Jul 30 2006 16:25:36 -07:00 wlanui.tar

9 -rwx 720 Aug 9 2006 18:01:43 -07:00 vlan.dat

23482368 bytes total (3565568 bytes free)

Got everything I need, and still have 3.5 MB free.

Not sure I'm willing to go as far as deleting flash files at the moment, but it's nice to know it can be done. Thanks for the tip. I'll keep that in my back pocket for future reference if I get one for the lab. The current one will be in use soon-mainly as a soho router/firewall and for VPN.

Don't need the Advanced IP image, really. I was just curious at first glance whan I was messing with it. I had misunderstood the initial difference in Advanced Security vs. Advanced IP. And really, why not just make all of them with enough default flash when it's only a 4MB difference? I could see 16MB or 32MB. For the additioinal $100 you might as well look at an 1800 series...

Wish they wouldn't use the term "Advnced" for an image when there is no "regular" or "standard" image beneath it. Especially when the lower image also uses "advanced" in the name. Again, marketing...ugh.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card