Views
Helpful
Replies

QOS on SIP-400 & SPA-OC48

aviyoshi10
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

i am facing with some difficulties to implement QOS on my C6k router.

i have a sup720-3b with 7600-sip-400 and SPA-1XOC48\POS, IOS ver SXI3.

i want to implement a QOS policy that limit a specific ip address to a 200Mbps (TCP Traffic) BW.

i though about 2 options:

1. building class map with access list for this ip address and attached it to a policy map with an action of Shape Average

like this

class A

match access-list B

Policy map C

class A

Shape-Average 200Mbps

interface pos 1/1

service policy output C

2.building class map with access list for this ip address and attached it to a policy map with an action of Police CIR

like this

class A

match access-list B

Policy map C

class A

Police CIR 200Mbps

interface pos 1/1

service policy output C

i didn't succeeded with both of the above, the router says it cannot attached this kind of policy map to the interface.

can you please help me with this?

another Q is about mls qos. as i understand using mls qos globally is for the router be able to mark traffic. my question is if i am not using marking, and using classification based only on ip address do i need to enable mls qos?

appreciate your help.

11 Replies 11

jennwang
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

hi all,

simple way is to use the rate-limit control, below is configuration example:

access-list 100 permit ip any host x.x.x.x

under interface x/x/x

rate-limit input access-group 100 5000000 8000 8000 conform-action transmit
exceed-action drop

this is example configure to limited to 5m.  when traffic over 5M,  allows burst
8000 bytes if traffic has bandwidth, if not drop the packets, you can change it for your situation).

Please note most the rate-limit control performes at inband traffic. This is because the traffic is going to drop when exceeed the rate-limt
since we try to avoid excessive traffic
to go router and waste you CPU if you are going to drop later anyway.

Jenny Wang

Hi

thanks.

due to topology i cannot use input. can i use the rate limit with output direction ?, i am asking that from the SPA-1XOC48 aspect.

but still,

if i want to use Police or shaping can i do that with the hardware i have ?, do i need to enable mls qos ?

i want to build a qos design that can help me add in the future more policies this is why i prefer using MQC over rate limit.

appreciate,

Avi

jennwang
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

hi,

some route does support out band to do rate-limit control though it is not good design. You can go to intreface to try:

rate-limit output access-group 100 5000000 8000 8000 conform-action transmit
exceed-action drop
to see if support the outband rate-limit control.

If you want to use Qos, depends up what configuration you have, MLS usually it for swicth, layer 2 Qos.
If you can provide me your your configuration in the POS interface and I can advise better
Jenny

Hello Avi,

Unfortunately i am not able to find any document for   SPA-1XOC48-POS/RPR which state that shaping is not

supported on this interface.

But I am quite sure that shaping is not supported on this card...may be because it is high speed card and expecting more traffic from

user..It is useless to buffer packets and decrease the performance.

anyway if you want to limit the traffic to 200m you can use policing also

something like

Policy-Map TEST
    Class TEST
     police cir 204800000 31250000 31250000 conform-action transmit   exceed-action drop  violate-action drop

I don;t know this information is useful to you or not

Regards

Mahesh

Hi,

in order to do this policy do i need to enable mls qos?, can i implement this service policy an an output ?

Hi Avi,

> By default, the EXP value is not copied into the DOT1P field of the DOT1Q header on Few router. To activate this automatic mapping, the command mls qos needs to be configured globally on the router. This command puts the ports in “trust EXP” mode and so, forces the copy of the EXP into the DOT1P.

>Yes you can implement service-policy in output.

Regards

Mahesh

so if i don't have an mpls network and my topology is only pure ip i understand that i don't need to enable mls qos ? of course if i am using only policing.

Hi,

my POS configuration is pretty simple. i am using regular ip address, i have an ip network not something special. i understand that mls qos is necessary to enable QOS on C6K, but if i am doing policing and class-map only on ip addresses i don't understand why do i need to enable it.

Yes Avi,

You don't need mls qos for your scenario.

Regards

mahesh

Thanks

i will chaeck it.

Pavol Golis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Please give us complete policy-map & ACL & interface (&subinterface) configuration. Also provide log message printed on console.

Template you are using should be accepted.

Pavol

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card