Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS over a Metro-E connection

Joshua Engels
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guys,

We are in the process of setting up a point to point connection to our Colo datacenter.  We are working with a couple of providers and the question that we have is regarding the ISP's QoS capabilities.  If our voice traffic traverses the WAN, we want to make sure that this traffic has priority.  We can set this up on our catalyst switch to be marked and set as high priority.  That said, what will happen when it hits the service providers network?  If it is a point to point connection do I need them to honor any type of QoS markings?  I am ultimatley looking to understand what questions I should be asking my ISP.

Any help, suggestions, or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Everyone!           

2 Replies 2

Hi Joshua,

the point-to-point nature of your connection is not going to affect the way or the value you need for your voice/video packets. In relation to the ISP instead you should ask directly to them because the most of  ISPs are using MPLS now that means that the value of your markings is copied on the experimental bits of the  MPLS packet and does not vary. Of course this is a common choice but it is not the only one in the MPLS environment. Other ISPs remark the value at the edge and return you your own value only at the other edge (PE generally).

So not ultimately at all, it is the only real answer you can get the one from your ISP.

HTH

Alessio

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Already replied in Voice forum, please do not open duplicate threads.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card