cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Qos Policy Shaping Allocations vs Link Speed

exonetinf1nity
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings im after some clarrification in how shaping on "class-default" is utilised. May be a silly question i just havent given it any thought before.

Based on a 10Mbit circuit of which i wanted to prioritise 2Mbit for voice and shape default traffic to 8Mbit would the following policy be correct or would i need to change the "shape average" statement to 10000000?

policy-map ETHERNET-WAN-OUT

class Voice-Media

priority 2000

class Voice-Signalling

bandwidth 8

class class-default

set ip dscp default

fair-queue

policy-map 10M-ETHERNET-WAN-OUT

class class-default

shape average 8000000

service-policy ETHERNET-WAN-OUT

Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you want to fully utilize the 10Mbps circuit, then the answer is Yes. You need to modify your shape average statement to reflect just that.

Please refer to the documentation for more info on the command:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/qos/command/reference/qos_s1.html#wp1014690

HTH,

__

Edison.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you want to fully utilize the 10Mbps circuit, then the answer is Yes. You need to modify your shape average statement to reflect just that.

Please refer to the documentation for more info on the command:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/qos/command/reference/qos_s1.html#wp1014690

HTH,

__

Edison.

Much appreciated, thank you

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just wanted to confirm you also realize you're shaping all traffic to 8 Mbps (assuming you use policy 10M-ETHERNET-WAN-OUT on the interface) and within that 8 Mbps you've allocated LLQ for 2 Mbps.

If the interface was 10 Mbps, you could use just policy ETHERNET-WAN-OUT (assuming you don't need to restrict all traffic to 8 Mbps).

Also, within policy ETHERNET-WAN-OUT, my belief is on most Cisco routers, FQ with class-default might preclude other non-LLQ classes from obtaining their minimum bandwidth. I.e. class Voice-Signalling might not obtain its bandwidth guarantee.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card