cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS Question (No BW Guarantee + RED)

hypnotoad
Level 3
Level 3

I'm doing a bit of tuning on our QoS design. Cisco has a document called THE QoS BASELINE AT-A-GLANCE. This document states that the Scavenger class should be set as No BW Guarantee + RED. I don't see that this is possible or I'm not fully understanding it. If I try to add the randon-detect command to the scavenger class I get an error stating that I must first add the bandwidth statement.

What am I missing?

I'm working on a 7206VXR with 12.4(25b) code

Thanks,

Patrick

3 Replies 3

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Like you said random-detect command will not accepted if the bandwidth command is not configured. One solution is to set the bandwidth to a low value like 1%. Please take a look at the Enterprise QoS SRND example 3-8.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/WAN_and_MAN/QoS_SRND/WANQoS.html#wp96699

Regards,

jerry

In addition to my colleague Jerry's suggestion. Another possible solution is to upgrade IOS to 12.4(20)T or later code, which support HQF.  The class-default queue will have 1% reserved bandwidth, so it will take RED without bandwidth command.

HTH,

Lei Tian

Thanks for the URL. It was very helpful. I have a deployment in place for two of my locations and I'm been monitoring it with ManageEngine Netflow Analyzer. So far it looks good.

--Patrick

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card