I have a router with 2 T1s going to the one ISP, and I am doing per-destination load-balancing on these 2 T1 lines. I am about to get a 3rd T1 with a different ISP. All 3 T1s are on one router. The 1st 2 T1 are used for internet browsing from and to the internal network, and the 3rd T1 will be mainly used for bulk smtp and ftp from the internal network to the internet. However, I want to use this 3rd T1 for outgoing http when its not heavily used, but I want to make sure that when the 3rd T1 is becoming heavily used due the bulk smtp/ftp (lets say 80% of the max bandwidth) the router will no longer send outgoing http down the 3rd T1. I am pretty sure that with QoS I should be able to do that, but I need help to put me on the track to get this configured.
Thanks for the reply. Just to make sure. . . Will the above configuration stop traffic not defined in the SMTP_FTP class map to go down the 3rd T1 once the line reaches the 80% threshold, or will it still allow other traffic type to go through while guarantying 80% of the line to the SMTP_FTP during contention? You are correct in assuring that the 3rd T1 should be guaranteed 80% of the line, but I am not sure if the above configuration will make sure that when the bandwidth on the 3rd T1 reaches 80% usage (due to the SMTP_FTP) that it will no longer allow other traffic (other than the SMTP_FTP class map) type to go through.
The reason for this is that I dont mind much if the SMTP_FTP traffic is on a maxed out T1 line, but I know our users will go nuts if they are browsing off a T1 near 95% of max capacity.
the entire CBWFQ configuration will only become effective when there is congestion, if there is none, all traffic will flow through all links, which should not be a problem. 80% of the 3rd T1 will be guaranteed for SMTP and/or FTP traffic, the remaining 20% will be available for other traffic. So, when there is congestion, 80% will be used for SMTP/FTP, and only 20% for HTTP.
Thanks for the reply, and I am sorry because I dont think I made myself clear. What I meant to say is that when the 3rd T1 reaches 80% of its max capacity due to the SMTP_FTP traffic I do not want other traffic (i.e outgoing http and others) to use the 3rd T1 as it will experience poor quality due to the contention on the line. In other words, when the line is not heavily used, it is ok to have outgoing http, but when it starts to become congested then only allow the SMTP_FTP and block other type of traffic to use this line. I guess it is more of policy based routing question than strict QoS.
Hi everyone, I would like to thank you in advance for any help you can provide a newcomer like myself!
Im studying the 100-105 book by Odom and am currently on the topic of Port security. I purchased a used 2960 and I'm trying to follow a...
While deploying a number of 18xx/2802/3802 model access points (APs), which run AP-COS as their operating platform. It can be observed on some occasions that while many of their access points were able to join the fabric WLC withou...
I am going to design and build an LAN network under a tunnel underground with long distance between the switches.
I will have 2 Catalyst switches and 8 Industrial IE3000, and they will be connected with fiber.
For now I am planning on use Layer-2 s...